Best App For Deer Hunting?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Campfire, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Antler insanity is FREE and good for marking spots. It has other features I don't even mess with. I tried the onX free trial but dropped it. The names and boundaries wasn't correct on several I checked around home. Out west or I could see it being more useful the way land seems to be more like blocks. My .02$

cedar ridge likes this.
  2. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    On X works great for me on mapping and marking up my map. Any of the apps that show you property lines are all getting that information from the same places, local government.

For weather, I use wunderground. Not the app though. The web browser includes an option to show the predictive barometric pressure. I have my profile set to show wind, barometric, temperature, ect. Where I hunt I don’t usually have service, so I take screen shots of the weather on my way out the door.

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    how many acres u hunt?

4. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    I have seen some smaller properties be listed but be shown in the wrong shape of the actual piece of property and in the wrong spot all together. Like not even close some are miles off from where they should be. I would not trust it enough to try and set up within 100 yards of a property line for sure. I see alot of people say they use it this way though so maybe its just my area.

5. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Not being a smart Arse by no means , but why do you need an APP for hunting

6. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    One spot is about 12,000 another is 3,000

7. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I use mapping apps because I like to find several spots while I scout, then mark them on the map. This lets me find them when I am walking in several hundred acres or more several months later for the once or twice I hunt a spot. I also like to see the map to show me terrain so I understand how deer might be traveling. I also do prescouting with maps when I am looking for a spot to hunt in a new area I’ve never set foot on before.

Timholt70 likes this.
  8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I use an old Garmin gps and a puffer bottle of baking soda for the wind. Not sure which one would be the app.

Feedman and 1wildcatfan like this.
  9. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I've been at this hunting thing for 40 years or so. I started out with topo maps and aerials.

Nowadays? My ace #1 scouting tool is Google Earth Pro (free) and Topozone. For weather, I use Weather Underground.

As for all these "hunting apps" I find them mostly fluff.

Were I to go back to hunting seriously wild areas again, I'd not be trusting my life to anything on a smartphone. A lensatic compass, and laminated maps made off TOPOZONE would be my primary guide. I'd use a Garmin Etrex as a backup.

My advice to hunters in general: Learn to read a TOPO and use a lensatic compass, and you'll get in and out every time.

Google Earth is fine for planning, but not when your boots are on the ground. I've been on the same property now for going on 20 years. Google Earth is still handy. The other day, I was scanning GE and discovered a deer trail, a major deer highway, that I'd overlooked. As it turns out, the first month I owned the farm, I cut a hole in a fence and tried hunting the cut for a couple of years with no luck. It turns out, it just took them 18 seasons to find the hole. In another instance I've discovered a previously unseen deer pattern using the rotation trick I wrote about on my weblog. I knew deer were moving out of a hollow and crossing a ridge line, but rotating the GE plot suddenly made the exact path through a narrow pasture pop, clear as anything. I built my next tower blind overlooking that stretch of field and the deer were there. I have yet to have a sit in that blind without deer showing up in that corridor-- day and night.

LoneArrow likes this.
  10. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Thanks for the input

11. cedar ridge

cedar ridge 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    Antler Insanity for marking stands / locations and checking the wind. It’s free and very friendly.

12. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    Hard to beat the OnX app. It works with no cell service, which is a must-have for where I hunt.

LoneArrow likes this.
  13. jbake74

jbake74 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2010
    Same here

14. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Don't doubt that but I've never experienced that, property lines have always been nearly perfect for us.

15. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I have Onx and mine doesn't work without cell signal, unless you take a picture while you have service and look at that when you don't.