Benelli SBE

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by 1wildcatfan, Oct 29, 2020.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I would agree but it boils down to two repairs since 98... I WISH I could say that about my boats, Trailers, Trucks, vans etc... For the amount of use, it has been very reliable . I'm not a gun cleaner, I like stainless when I can get it. I can clean one as well as most anyone and do with the mid season cleaning but I'm too tired/lazy to put the effort in and too confidant in the reliability of the gun to worry about it. I'm not one to hunt in the rain.. I do take it out and let it dry if we get in a downpour but the other dog shake water etc gets it no special care.

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    In higher grade shotguns, I’ve owned Benelli, Browning, and Franchi. The Franchi is by far the cheapest but never an issue. I much prefer the Browning over Benelli. I’ve been eyeing a new A5.

3. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I have an SX3 I've used for years and is still my backup gun. Great gun and its served me well over the years. The problem I had was when it got below 10°, it wouldn't cycle. I've cleaned it, not cleaned it, used rem oil, used dry graphite, used no oil (towel only) and it still wouldn't cycle. That's when I bought my SBE3. 90% of the time, that gun will cycle with zero issues. I did find it hated federal shells. Odd, but it didn't like them. Still a great gun.

Capttrae and FOWLER2671 like this.
  4. jgs410

jgs410 Fawn

Oct 31, 2018
    NC/KY
    I have two SBE2s that I have used for years and an M2 before that. The M2 was by far the most dependable waterfowling gun I’ve had.

My SBEs have made a few trips to Canada and ND without a hiccup. Once I used froglube paste and it did not do well in the cold. Once it was cleaned and the correct oil was applied it was business as usual. I will say both SBE3s that I’ve been around shoot high.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Clean it with Transmission Fluid. It will work and not freeze

Giveem3outdoors and DH13 like this.
  6. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Everyone hates on em but my old versamax goes boom and shoots where you point it. Only issues I've ever had were completely self inflicted. (Dirty).

7. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    I have an SBEII and never had a problem with it. BUT when I take a trip I always have a spare that will go BOOM. My choice is a BPS. My buddies is a older 870. Those are two guns that seem to always fire no matter what.