Bell Ringer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by fusion308, Oct 20, 2007.

1. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Went to my deer hunting spot this evening and around 7:00 ,I started to hear a bell ringing in the woods across the field. It seemed to be getting closer with each ring,I was thinking, is this a kid playing or a dog with a bell on its neck,or what ?? Then I SEEN IT.... it was a doe with a bell hanging around her neck with a orange ribbon ,she fed on the corn we had in the field..........I wished I had took my camera,I have hunted this area alot ,but never seen or heard her before............

2. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky

Not sure where your hunting but i have heard storys of a doe with a bell and ribbon on its neck.

It always happens when you dont have your camera. I always take my camera, the one day i didnt and (i didnt have my phone (camera phone)either) i saw an albino doe, in bow range!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  3. bigeza2000

bigeza2000 8 pointer

Oct 11, 2007
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Doe!!

Hope she hangs around until rut!! She will let you know when she is being chased by the BIG DOG!!

4. kipdynamite

kipdynamite 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2005
    Lexington
    There is a doe in my area that has a hunter orange collar on her neck...I have a trail cam pic of her...several people have seen her and has been around for several years

5. LEAFYMAN

LEAFYMAN 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2007
    22 FOOT UP
    I Have A Young Button Buck Coming To My House And He Will Come Right Up To Me And Eat Out Of My Hand. I Am Thinking About Doing Somthing Like That So I Can Know Him In The Future. Do You Guys Think That Is Good Idea Or Bad Idea, If It Is Good What Could I Do.

6. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    Good idea! how are you gonna adjust the collar as it ages?

7. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Good point. I'd just snip one of his ears off while he was eating out of your hand. That way you'd always know the one-eared buck.:eek: Of course, if he eats out of your hand, he's prolly not gonna see the end of many hunting seasons anyway.;)

8. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    There used to be a doe around Barren lake that had a ribbon around her neck but some ******* apparently shot her --- someone found the ribbon next to an apparent kill site

9. carpenterguy

carpenterguy 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Burkesville, Ky
    we had a nice 10 point with a collar that a fella down the road raised.. i know he isn't supposed to but did. oh well soon enough the big fella was found after being hit by a car.. man what a shame. a monster rack and a gentle deer. he would eat out of you hand too..

10. wolverine82

wolverine82 6 pointer

Oct 1, 2007
    Marion County, KY
    I have never seen or heard anything like that before. Bigeeza has a good point, you will know when she is around and hopefully a big buck will be trailing right behind her.

11. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    You should've shot her,it was a freebie. I dont think the dept really wants "tame" deer running wild. whether it was a pet or a game farm escapee,they dont need to be mingling with the wild herd.
    carpenterguy, about 3-4 years ago I saw one with a collar down in your neck of the woods,over at mudcamp wma to be exact, a small 4point with a red collar,some guy shot him on the next ridge.Had I known it was a freebie I'd shot him myself

12. carpenterguy

carpenterguy 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Burkesville, Ky
    raktakr he wasn't hardly at mudcamp!! i live just out of b-ville by carters auto sales if you know where that is. he was raised right here in this area and seemed to stay pretty close. they found him around a mile from here with now wounds just looked like a car got him. the ol boy turkey hunting found him and brought the collar back to the origional owner..

you hunt down here much??

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    My grandmother raised a fawn years ago and they put orange cattle tags in her ears and an orange collar around her neck. Everyone in the area knew about her but someone shot her anyway.

I wouldnt shoot a deer that I knew someone had raised and was a pet. I don't need the meat that bad and I wouldnt want to break someones heart. Plus just how rewarding is it to shoot a tame deer. I don't see any harm in a tame doe running free in the wild. Whats it hurt?

14. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    I use to,That was actually the last year I hunted in Cumberland Co. My in-laws own a farm on 90 just before the Metcalfe co line. Where I saw the deer was on the Carter place at mudcamp

15. havegunwilltravel

havegunwilltravel 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2004