begginer yote hunter

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by styxvalleydan, Mar 3, 2009.

1. styxvalleydan

styxvalleydan Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    i want to start hunting yotes i live in ne ohio is it better to hunt them day or night and ive heard of guys hunting at night right out of the truck any suggestions i would appreciate

2. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    You are on a Kentucky thread but thats ok. Can you still hunt predators at night in Ohio? If you can that would be a good time I would think but the big time yote hunters on this forum will let you know . This state wont let you hunt at night for predators. It stinks and needs to be changed. I hunted foxes at night in Ohio when i was a kid and called in a lot. There wernt any coyotes as there werent any deer at the time. good luck

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

In NE Ohio he is a long way from Ky I think and yes they do allow night hunting there. Although you might want to check the furbearer regs to make sure it si not a specific season. Most of which are over now.

Night hunting was fun but hard work for us when we had it. For the beginer though I would recomend daylight hours. It makes it far easier to see what you are doing with setup and how they work it. Jimmie

4. Kcoyboy

Kcoyboy Banned

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey Jimmie when was it legal to hunt yotes here in KY? I wasnt aware that it was ever legal.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

It only lasted a few years and was taken away four or five years ago. It was strictly coyote only . No lights or e-callers. Working under the full moon was the only option you had and the only weapon that made sense was the shotgun. Once you figured out trtricks to it , it was easy to do. But it took a lot of hard work to get to that point. Jimmie

6. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    There was another period of time when you could use night vision enhancements, such as night vision binocs and scopes, but no artificial lights, and no ecallers. Then a farmer could get special permission to have yotes hunted and killed at night if he was having livestock being killed by coyotes. Then they eliminated all night hunting, period. Seems this was to protect the deer and then elk from poachers. The thing that is crazy about that is that if a coyote hunter wanted to poach a deer, he wouldn't do it at night anyway. He'd just shoot one late in the day and then get it after dark. I have had several farmers urge me to instigate a meeting with the Ky. Fish & Wildlife Dept. to try to get that changed. I may do it. The regulations are goofy to put it mildly. It doesn't stop trappers from getting the coyotes at night during the furbearing season. So, everything is slanted against the legal coyote hunter. He must hunt in the daytime for an animal that is mostly nocturnal, and gets ever more nocturnal when pressured. As if that wasn't tough enough, trappers and the farmers themselves can snare them much more efficiently than you can call them. Hunting coyotes at night isn't easy either, but you'll call in a lot more than you will in the daytime if you set up right and know what you're doing. I may push for that meeting now that my dander's up a bit.

7. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    In my opinion if a person is going to poach he will day or night. Yeah, doing it at night is the most common. If it so hard to control here in KY why can Indiana control it across the river. They have allowed night hunting for years.

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I have already tried it Al. and got no where. It's going to take a lot more of us and if we ask for what we had , we would be lucky to get it back.