Before game cameras

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cedar creek, Nov 5, 2018.

1. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    Thanks to a divorce, I will be hunting 117 acres this year with no corn or feed of any kind since last December. Also there hasn’t been a camera on the property this year. Brother in law killed 1 black powder from my stand. I seen 3 and dad seen 3. Super excited for this weekend because those big boys are still in there somewhere. But the first deer I see is history unless it’s a small buck.

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    FOR sure.

3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Not going to lie. I love running cams. Try to run them year round. It has changed the way I hunt. I’m more selective on what I shoot. But I still love them

300winmag and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  4. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    They are a tool of the trade.

5. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We use to follow them funny things called “tracks”...
    I’ll admit cams are fun. We only got a couple a few years ago. Still don’t hunt by them much at all but they did let me know a big old buck was cruising my property a couple years ago. Without them I’d nevr knew he was there

6. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    If they don't do anything else they keep from completely wasting my time . the vast majority of SIGN is left at night and I sat so many days without seeing a deer back then . I'm a little wiser now but also think trail cameras are what has changed the frequency in which I see things from the tree.

7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    They are a tool, same as any other tool. Some good points and some bad. But I enjoy them.

8. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

I’m running several cams on my lease & yesterday had a buck come out that I’ve never seen on cam. I was pretty sure I had a good inventory but was proven wrong.

9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I don't use them anymore or corn, I think they are a great tool but to many thieves out there.
    I do feel they are one of the reasons Ky has went so far up the list with record bucks, it's allowing deer to get bigger when you can decide whether your going to wait or shoot ahead of time.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Not sure when I got my first cam, I know they had been out a while. I was also the last one in my family to get a smart phone.

11. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I have a few cameras. However, I'm not particularly in love with them.

The big benefit is undoubtedly the eye candy they produce. A shot of a big buck is always fun. However, I seldom get actionable intelligence. For that, I'd probably have to run more cameras and be more active in maintaining them. To me, that seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Yes, I have a pic of a nice buck. However, if I see another buck come by, that may be the only one I see the rest of the season. About the only thing the pics tell me is there IS a potential for a bigger one out there.

The last two seasons, I've killed 2 bucks that never showed up on a camera. Both were the best taken at camp that season. This year, I have a nice one on camera, but I'm not going to hold out for him.