Beef

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Getting my hog butchered in October. They are only a month out.

I’ll let deer hang if the weathers perfect and it’s during the week. Usually I’m butchering 3 deer a day on weekends, we’ve done 5 in one day just for immediate family.

I soak the meat in salt water 24-48hrs like my squirrel.

We’ve got plenty of hay so doubt we’ll be butchering any cattle anytime soon.

Getting my hog butchered in October. They are only a month out.

I’ll let deer hang if the weathers perfect and it’s during the week. Usually I’m butchering 3 deer a day on weekends, we’ve done 5 in one day just for immediate family.

I soak the meat in salt water 24-48hrs like my squirrel.

We’ve got plenty of hay so doubt we’ll be butchering any cattle anytime soon.

I know a lot of people who soak their game in a saltwater brine and whatever works for them is ok by me but for me personally it dilutes down the flavor of the game.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I was gonna say something bit if he likes it that's all that matters.
How many ribeyes have you seen soaking in water?
Soaking deer always came across as city boy shit to me. I have some that work for me that swear by it. I've tried it myself even, regretted it tho.
Little FR don't strike me as the same kinda city boy I'm referring to tho

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I know a lot of people who soak their game in a saltwater brine and whatever works for them is ok by me but for me personally it dilutes down the flavor of the game.
To me the flavor of deer meat is more dependent on shot location. If it is a track job and builds up a lot of lactic acid it gets soaked everytime.

The rest depends on the purpose of the dish and intended audience. Most new deer eaters are going to shy away from deer meat for a while if the first they try is an old gamey deer you didn’t head shoot.

I’m not just cooking for me.