Beef

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Nov 16, 2020.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Here is a good youtube video about beef shortages .

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Well, I watched the video but I am doubtful that anything will change. Mass marketing will continue to dominate the cattle industry and the public will not pay double for grass fed hamburger when they can barely afford the feed lot beef. I know that I wouldn't myself; it's already out there and is mostly bought by upscale shoppers who don't really understand. "Black Angus beef" is a B.S. marketing ploy that the gullible public has bought into. It's all about the same given the animals are comparable; The color of the hide doesn't make much difference. Holstein cattle ?....a slight difference there.
    You can't even find a slaughterhouse to process your own steer.
    @Feedman may have a different opinion.??

3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    That was interesting. I was too young to really understand when the market dropped, back when I was a teenager, causing my parents to sell off all of our cattle. I simply recall such was said to be the reason, and we then moved on to show horses.

I had a rib eye today, and it was terrible. The lady having prepared it called and asked how it tasted. I was honest, of course, telling her that it was overcooked, elaborating that I prefer filet mignon and never order other cuts. I simply thought I would try it. I would never purchase steaks online, nor from those with the refrigerated trucks selling door to door.

4. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I agree with the grass fed beef and straight from the farmer with over inflated higher prices.
    I posted this video to mainly show that the big processors failed to process beef when we needed beef. That shows a need for more slaughter houses in rural places . More smaller slaughter houses and that grass fed beef prices will come down. Yes there is customers who have money and are easily convinced that grass fed or the so called angus name is better and worth more $ when the fact is it is all beef no matter the color of its hide.

The big beef processors could leave customers with nothing on the shelves during a epidemic like this or any other kind of disaster. If the big beef processors did ever shut down then people would be hunting for these smaller processors for their food. People would be buying live cattle and needing a places to kill and process . I would say there would be some backyard processing done also as long as the Gov did not catch them .

Nock, Tankt and barney like this.
  5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    You know Grocery stores sell steaks . You will need to cook them yourself and is easily done. Don't rely on others to prepare your food, do it yourself.
    I can cook steaks. It is easy , all you need is a iron skillet and some cooking oil. I get my skillets screaming hot before putting my steaks in. Put you a little black pepper , Montreal steak seasoning and some meat tenderizer on a half hour before frying. Too much seasonings does not make a steak better it just covers up a good tasting steak. I throw them in a screaming hot skillet and sear both sides. I use a lid that will sit on the steaks and not rest on the sides of my skillet. I turn them over more than most people do . I usually use 1 inch thick steaks. Do not over cook and they will be good . Some that have steaks well done often wonder why their steak is tough. I have bought really pretty steaks before and they were tough no matter how they were cooked.

6. Tankt

Tankt 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Kudos to all the "backyard processors". You do what you gotta do. #$%& all the gov't regulation BS.

As i mentioned before, I plan to get into butchering. I like doing it actually. If anyone asks, yup..this animal I am butchering is for me.

Nock, drakeshooter, barney and 5 others like this.
  7. Tankt

Tankt 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    As for cooking a steak...it's as easy as frying an egg. Season as desired, placed in hot skillet 2.5-3 mins per side and enjoy.

Nock and barney like this.
  8. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks BB... I have prepared so very many steaks that I no longer recall how many, of course. The lady having prepared the rib eye owns a small restaurant just down the street. She had sent me a text message over the weekend asking me to stop by. I was not going to be rude and tell that nice country lady no, being that she needs more customers and works all by herself with no assistance; moreover, she had been closed for one week due to having pneumonia (no COVID) and surely needed to make up that lost income. Perhaps she will now place my preferred filet mignon upon her menu. She makes great breakfasts.

As for your advice regarding preparing steaks, thanks again, but I prefer to grill them outside (Floridian, recall) saving my mega cast iron skillets for other foods. When I do so, I purchase them from a small, country grocery store just down the road, as well.

Gforcetrivers likes this.
  9. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Definite difference between a dairy cow and beef steer. There are breeds that are best grown for meat production just like hogs or chickens. Fuller longer loins for instance, bigger hams. Its about body conformation not taste or tenderness. You want Prime? Feed them something besides grass.

10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I saw Outdoor Corn Piles out West near Dodge City that were over 50 ft high with Bulldozers moving it around. Feedlots for miles. Highway 83 from Oakley Kansas to Garden City Kansas is one right after another and ammonia will strangle you half to death late into the nighttime.
    That's how you get the grocery store meat.

My middle son and his friend butchered a steer themselves a few years ago. They were used to butchering Deer but said they weren't going to do another Steer ever.

All the Federal regulations has pretty much driven small slaughterhouses out of business. There used to be a lot of them.
    @Feedman, can you enlighten us?

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    @JR in KY,
    The grass fed fad is for people who do know know what a properly fed beef tastes like. Maturity an Marbling is what makes a steak. Knowing how to cook one properly is also important.
    There are so many " black hided" breeds now people automatically think angus. My brother an I sell angus crossed with black Simmental. They go as certified angus beef.
    The vitamin a contained in grass causes the fat to have a yellow look. Being confined an fed grain for about 90 days turns the fat to white plus adds flavor. Yellow fat will give the meat a slight flavor but looks unappealing. Grass fed beef takes longer to get to a desired weight an will not have the marbling needed to grade prime or choice so you will have more of a select grade. There it will be tougher an just not taste as good as grain fed.
    My opinion.

Drahts, jblack1, Carl and 6 others like this.
  12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    @JR in KY
    You are correct, regulations an finding quality workers are issues faced by packing houses. Having enough freezer space to let the carcass age properly is also a problem.
    An the biggest problem of all is people bitchin about their meat. They think a grass fed bull should taste like a grain fed steer just because the SOB is black. A lot of people do not know how to properly feed a beef to make it get the desired degree of marbling. This will affect the taste, plus people will not get their steaks cut thick enough an will over cook them until they taste like shoe leather. Then they call the butcher an bitch.

Drahts, Carl, bondhu and 6 others like this.
  13. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I agree with Feedman's posts regarding grass fed vs. grain fed. Grass fed cattle are leaner and when carcasses are graded they are graded based primarily on marbling or the amount of visible fat. Given that grass fed steers have less fat, they rarely achieve the highest grade (prime - the beef you should get at a high-end steakhouse) or select (still a really good steak).

But if you over cook a steak - even a prime grade steak - it will become tough and you'll be disappointed. I personally think there should be a Federal law that you can't grill any steak past medium....

Most people prefer grain fed beef, but my wife and I prefer grass fed. When we fatten a steer for processing we never feed them grain. It is a personal choice and I understand and agree with all the points that Feedman made. But we like lean beef - we like the taste of grass fed - and we think that the majority of the cuts of beef are better from a grass fed steer. We also believe that it is healthier.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Bitchers are always left leaning, obstinate dumbasses. I've dealt with a few from farmers market days. My daddy always said, let em figger it out. My motto is let em starve.

jblack1, Carl, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    All cows are raised on grass. It’s how they are finished that matters. Grass ain’t good for that.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020