Bedded Buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Hunter13, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Hunter13

Hunter13 Fawn

Aug 8, 2016
    Pulaski County
    Walked up on a young buck bedded down Saturday afternoon. A first for me in my three decades of deer hunting. I came out of the stand around noon, ate lunch and headed back in at 1 pm. I hunt down a logging trail on the side of a hill overlooking a bottom. My stand is maybe 30 yards from the bottom on the side of the hill. As I got within 20 yards of my stand the I saw the sun reflecting off him as he bedded in the bottom probably 75 yards from me. I was perfectly upwind of him and with the wind blowing about 10 mph he never saw or heard me. I sat down immediately between two small trees and just watched him. I watched him for 2.5 hours and he never once looked up the hill towards me and seemed relaxed the entire time. He finally got up around 3:45 pm and walked away. I was thankful he did because my ass was numb and my legs were cramping. Next to actually harvesting a good buck it was one of the more rewarding experiences I’ve had in the field. Anyone else walked up on one before?

HCDH66, wildcatfan, MoMan and 6 others like this.
  2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Killed a yote bedded down once. I was going down a cow trail through woods. Was only 25 yards from it. She had her back to me.

3. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Snuck into a huge doe bedding area last year during gun season by accident. I had never hunted those woods along a crp field and gravel road. I went in and as soon as I got in the treeline I saw does bedded everywhere. I hunkered down behind a blown over tree and just knew a big buck would bust through before dark. Never saw one. Does got up about 2 hours before dark, meddled around in that area, passed by me and then went into another field. I'm tempted to sneak in there now just after daylight and see if they are still using it mid day.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Still hunted in on bedded does a couple of times, no bucks. Did the same thing, immediately sat down and watched.

5. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    I walked up on one bedded with a doe last year. It was pretty cool. His head was on a swivel hanging out with his lady of the night.

6. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    A few years ago I went to my stand for an evening hunt. Once I got settled and started looking around I noticed a movement In some brush maybe 15 or 20 feet from my stand. I thought maybe it was a bird...just a tiny little movement occasionally. I even got the binoculars out and couldn’t figure out what it was. Just before dark a doe stood up was slowly walked off...it had been her ear flicking that I had seen. I probably missed a Booner walking by behind me while I was looking at the darn doe’s ear. haha

7. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Same as others have said, I've spotted does bedding but never a buck.