Beater truck...

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by WildmanWilson, Aug 28, 2020.

1. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Still driving my 2004 Ranger. Bought it new in 05. It’s got 210k miles on it. 4 wheel drive still works. Transmission started leaking at about 80 k miles. I put Lucas stop slip in it and it hasn’t leaked since then. It’s been a real good truck . If I find the same model with low miles, I’d buy it over a new truck for sure.

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    My beater Truck is a 1997 Suzuki Swift / Geo Metro depending on which end you are looking at. Title says Zuki.
    It was my last Geo that I wound up retiring from my rural mail carrier job and it still running.
    It doesn't have a straight piece of sheet metal on it but there's nothing wrong w it. Even the roof is dented from a falling tree limb. Hatch held open with a backer stick.
    I have hauled nerous calves in it as well as 16 ft lumber tied down sticking through the Hatch.
    I especially drive it a lot on the winter because it's warmer than my Ranger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would be remiss if I didnt post up a photo of the interior. @barney, theres even an Ax head in the floor. Gotta have my stuff handy guys. Headliner is long gone too.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Buddy and me put a 302 boss in a 72 or 73 mercury bobcat around 1985. Sumbatch would scream never could get it to hook up for a 1/4 mile. But damn it was fun, 70 mph plus pull the emergency brake, wheel cut to the left it would spin like a top. Great time to be alive.

00noturkey likes this.
  4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Saw a feller pull the motor out of one of them with his left hand and put a swap in with his right lol. He said 670k and easy to work on. I was thoroughly impressed.

00noturkey likes this.
  5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    On the topic of beater trucks, is it possible to have a rusted frame repaired? Our old truck is starting to fall apart & the last guy to work on it said we'd want to be careful due to the amount of rust on the frame. I've always heard that was the end of the story... If the frame is toast, so's the vehicle. But my husband & son keep saying it can be repaired, we just have to find someone to do it. Anyone know if this is even possible & if so, where it could be done & any guestimates on cost?

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I would think so since you can have a frame totally replaced. But I’m not as knowledgeable on vehicle repair as most on here.

7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    We have had our neighbor weld several frames For us over the years. Normally it was the frame over the rear wheels. Now the frame was solid enough before and after the area. We put flat steel on both sides on one and large angle iron on the other two. And painted over them and we are still driving two of them. Find you a good welder and it can be done.

Trapper Delk likes this.