Bear Spray or a sidearm? Good video to watch for those going into bear country.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Ash12, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I used to fly fish in isolated trout rivers and lakes in Alaska with two friends in mid september. Float Plane dropped us in middle of nowhere and picked us up in a week. We took a sat phone but really had to have bear protection at all times. Sleeping in individual small tents. Nylon not bear proof.

I took my son's 870 wingmaster youth model with sabot slugs on a sling. I couldn't hit a bull in the a-- with a pistol but knew I could put "several "where they needed to be " with a shotgun. Plus I had couple boxes of upland bird /waterfowl loads and killed ptarmigan and mallards daily for our supper.

If i recall the ballistics correctly the 20 guage sabot slug was faster and had more knock down ft lbs energy than my friends 44 magnum sidearms. We also carried bear spray. At all times. We had a brown bear carry tent off one day that we never found. Had a spare though. Never had to use any of the defense weapons on a bear.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  2. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I have only run up on one black bear that made me nervous and did t draw my pistol but I carry a 357 all the time in the woods , granted they aren’t brown or grizz I’m not gonna hunt where I can be hunted , black bears don’t scare me the big boys do , if I did go I’d pick up a 10mm

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If I were to visit grizzy country, I'd have spray on left side, and a .44 readily available to the right.

4. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY
    I just returned from the Alaskan Peninsula and was hunting Brown Bears last month. Also been on a couple of Griz hunts in AK and in the Yukon. Although while hunting these monster animals you always have a “big boy” gun, once you get close and see ‘em on the ground, I want no part of attempting to stop one with bear spray. Like tasing some of these folks hyped up on all kinds of drugs. Once that adrenaline is pumping and they decide to charge, only one way to stop ‘em IMO.

RLWEBB and Brody like this.
  5. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
    Look into it. You'd be surprised how effective it is.

6. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Many years ago my wife and I and another couple were preparing to cross the border at International Falls, MN. The border patrol officer was a young lady and she asked if we had any weapons. I answered “No, unless you consider pepper spray a weapon.” Her response was “Sir, please pull over to the side and get out of the car.” So I proceeded to walk to the back of the car where the “weapon” was stored in a bag. She searched the bag and pulled out a small pepper spray the size that a women would carry in her purse. She looked me in the eyes and asked me what I intended to do with that spray can. When I told her that I planned to carry it with me in case we came face to face with a black bear while blueberry picking. She just laughed at me telling me all that would do would get me eaten! Then she asked me to come inside and complete a bunch of paperwork. We don’t take pepper spray with us anymore!

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Long way to go to pick blueberries. You must really love em.

8. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    We have been going up there to fish for Big Northerns and smallmouth and we pick the blueberries on our drive into camp.

bondhu likes this.
  9. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    You’d know Chris.

10. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I’d say a person is better off with one or the other. By the time you try the pepper spray. If it’s not effective, you’re not likely to have enough time to go for the other, or vice versa. Kind of like the story I read about African professional hunters. The guy was asked why they only carried double barrel rifles. His response was “if you’ve not stopped the threat by the second shot, you aren’t getting a 3rd….”

FOWLER2671 and RLWEBB like this.
  11. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    If I'm goin' by bear attack, I'm going in a firestorm, not with seasoning!!

27957.jpeg

hunt and cedar ridge like this.
  12. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I have 3 friends, 2 are still alive that were attacked by grizzlys. All 3 of occurrences pepper spray was released. The one killed got off 2 shots. 3 days later Game & Fish finished off the bear.

13. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    How do you like that sight?

14. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I have. But have zero experience. I’ll tel ya that but if I’m going into bear country I’m not packin spray I’m packin gun. If I did have spray and a gun which would I choose. Pretty easy. I choose the gun. I’m not tryin to sound like I’m badass or have experience with bears but I’m shootin bullets not spray. To each there own.

cedar ridge and EdLongshanks like this.
  15. Brody

Brody 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Lived in AK for awhile early 80s, I'd want the 12 ga slugs. Even this won't stop a grizz if female/ cub scenario, or walk around boulder and close fast action. Your attacked quick.best defense then is fetal position and prayer