Bear Hunting - Chase Only

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KentuckyOutdoorsMag, May 19, 2020.

1. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Spike

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    I'm looking for hunters who participate in the chase-only period of black bear hunting in Kentucky. We want to feature the chase-only season in the June issue of our online magazine. If you are interested, or know someone who may be, please comment here, or email me at kyoutdoorsmedia@outlook.com

Thanks!

2. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Don't see much if any talk of it on this forum. Now in WV it's a big deal with thousands spent on dogs etc..
    Couple posters here deal with em regularly as the population seems to be exploding. F&W has our hands tied on any kinda nuisance control protecting your property.
    If you prefer hunting deer, you generally don't much care for bear.
    Goodluck on finding someone

EdLongshanks and jblack1 like this.
  3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The KY Bear Hunters Association has a Facebook page. I’d try there.

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’d say it would be about like ,trying to get permission to coon hunt ,nobody likes coon hunters.

Munson and jblack1 like this.
  5. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I tried smashing the like button several times but to no such luck, only one like per post.

1000000% agree

And the people that wish they had some bears in their neighborhood...
    They really need to see what these things do before they make that wish.

Feedman, Dark Cloud and Munson like this.
  6. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    They r training in WVA right now it’s a big thing here and plenty of bears I’ve got a few guys from MO coming to my lease this fall

7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Well someone ran one thru my place yesterday, seen the bear on trailcam. Hope he goes all the way to Pulaski!

Munson and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  8. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Pulaski has enough.
    No matter what fish and wildlife says.

9. ky_coal_miner

ky_coal_miner Spike

May 15, 2015
    Clay County Ky
    Kentucky bear hunters association. Look at there facebook page absolutely great people and take a lot of bear. Larry and Jeff cornett.

10. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I'd say you b right. Might just of been through my blurred years but seems like one day everybody up and sold out of hounds. I guess that's what happened plus no $$ in hides.

All I know for a FACT is it there is major beef between hound hunters vs treestand archery hunters. Things can sideways quick if a dog comes through hour later after you arrowed a bear. Them dogs will shred you if you don't have an escape and or protection... which leads to HUGE problems with owners. I really don't think if you was laying there bleeding out "some" of em would grab their hounds and tell you to eff off. Now I don't like and won't lump all them together, good n bad on both sides as always. Maybe it's just the part I go to but ive witnessed clothes ripped to shreds on a buddy who doesn't get around well on flat ground from a bone disease but he refuses to give in so we help him in/out of his blinds and do all work, which is fine by me and hope I have someone to do the same. Luckily rolled up on 4wheeler and was able to get the dog distracted by using 4wheeler (not my sidearm which was ready) and get us outta there. Then here comes three hound hunters trying to claim the bear etc... it was a hot headed argument for a good bit. We just happen to have a few more ppl and firepower on our sideo_O:eek: some of the tensest moments I can remember for a short time but gained 4 lifetime friends by us having each other's back in a bad situation. Anyway enough of my ramblings. Not trying to bring negativity to the thread btw but it's something I thought I should share to bring awareness of the issue.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  11. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I’ve been leasing since my kids was 2 yrs old I’ve only had two run in’s with bear hunters and both was good , But most of my family hunts bears with dogs so most folks know em and avoid hunting close to our lease now on public land , I’ve known for things to get heated but the dog runs the bear if your in a tree and shoot the bear 99% of the hunters don’t care they live for the chase most of em I know if it isn’t 250 plus they won’t shoot it but never heard any stories of mean hounds getting after folks now they will shred a bear if ya don’t get them off , but they always get the dogs before the shot