Bear forum

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by elkaholic, Jan 18, 2019.

Do bears need their own forum?

1. yes

70.8%
  2. no

29.2%
  1. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i dont want a bear in the back yard. i dont want to see them go extinct. if only they ate yotes

elkaholic likes this.
  2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

How long does a deer bait have to be removed for it not to be considered bear bait ? If like waterfowl or turkeys I think it is 10 days. That is a question I will have to ask from a CO friend of mine. I can't believe someone not directly hunting over a pile of food could be charged with hunting over bait given a bear will travel many miles in search of food in a days time. What is to say the bear you kill today was not 5 miles away yesterday on someone's deer feeder. Just the fact corn showed up in one's belly can't mean it came from the area it was killed in. One would have to be caught red handed sitting over a bait pile by a CO to prove they were. Just as turkeys what control does one hunter have when a farmer 3 miles away spills grain and the turkeys find it and return day after day until it is cleaned up. I see flocks of turkeys in my yard and see that same flock a mile away a day later. I bet a couple bottles of Ten Dead Horses would draw in every bear downwind for a mile or more. I know it would not be legal but that stuff smell's so strong a bear finds it hard to resist. One could pour some out and walk thru it without gagging and leave a trail any bear that crossed would follow. Two or three clothes pins on your nose is a requirement ...LOL. and it is guaranteed your wife wouldn't let you come inside if you accidently spilled some on your clothes. A skunk has nothing on ten dead horses.

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I'm pretty sure an area is considered baited 30 days after bait has been removed. The feeder bears are our biggest problem in my area. Now a bear trying to pack my grill off my porch is a diff story thst I will deal with if it comes to that.

elkaholic likes this.
  4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This is the same as the turkey,no distance stated,the only sure way is establish a distance or outlaw baiting.I don’t got no bear problem,and don’t want no bear problem,but they need to get this in writing ,to hold down on the confusion.All baiting

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I think with baiting for deer is so ingrained in the way what seems like most hunt deer you would be fighting a uphill battle to get a total ban. Unless we have a total state wide outbreak of CWD. No more planting a corn or bean field and running a bush hog over it and just letting it lay. I know I have dealt with what some would call bait in a state that no baiting is allowed. I had a place just off I-94 in Indiana that a local fruit market dump tons of old vegetables and fruit on a small piece of property they own. I was not hunting the property the dump was on but another persons land. But drove past the dump site to my parking spot on the property I hunted. When I noticed it I took a GW that came into the Archery/Muzzleloading shop I work part time in out and showed it to him. Told him where my deer stand was about 250 yards east and north. He told me as long as I stayed a certain distance ( and pointed a place out) that I would be ok to hunt my stand. It was about 150 yards away from the dump spot. It is called under the influence of bait, meaning I could not hunt a trail leading to the dump spot under that 150 yards. Why Ky can't come up with a rule such as that for bear is beyond me. Just like turkeys, I see turkeys in the fall under my backyard spin feeder all the time. Was feeding a flock of 53 at one time, that would follow me around like a farmers chickens when I went outside and to where the corn was stored. I know the flock and have seen them a mile away feeding in a field more than once. Same birds because one of the flock had a unique color and number count was always within 2 or 3 birds. Does that mean nobody can hunt that field a mile away during fall turkey season. And I thought with waterfowl it was 10 days before hunting what could be proved a baited spot. I will have to look that up.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Idk the dept intent on these boogers. I know that they will bring some more money in time but to continue letting the population grow is a pure biatch. The dec rifle season is about useless.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Direct from the Fed's on hunting waterfowl over a baited spot.
    The 10-Day Rule

A baited area remains off limits to hunting for 10 days after all salt, grain, or other feed has been completely removed. This rule recognizes that waterfowl will still be attracted to the same area even after the bait is gone.

8. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    IMG_1209.JPG
    Bear And turkey are dif

elkaholic likes this.
  9. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    So reading this if Yogi is getting into someones garbage the area is not baited, because deer don't eat garbage.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Depends on what the garbage is. Throw out a bunch of apples and see if there deer will not eat them. Legal to hunt in a apple orchard and bears do like apples. Same with some crops. One taxidermist I had do some work for me up in Manitoba said the government brought in shooters and killed a lot of bears that were destroying oat fields near his house. Not the standard oat mix the outfitters put in the rolling barrels for clients to hunt over.

elkaholic likes this.
  11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I guess different species have different rules on bait. May depend on what state even. Unless the Fed's are involved. I know Michigan started limiting the amount of bait you could put out even tho baiting for deer is legal. IIRC it was no more than a 5 gallon bucket full at anytime at one site. I seen guys on private land that bordered the state land we hunted dump small dump trucks full of carrots and sugar beets in piles on their property just across the property line between state and private land.

12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Imo baited should be allowed for bear
    In ky. But the dept wants their numbers to grow. Elk are enough. Don't let the bear mirror that.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Looking for a position as a Bear outfitter ? :D Money to be made for sure.

14. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Not at all . Too much aggravation from other guides, leases, private land.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If I live over your way I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Baiting bears is not that hard and to be one of the first outfitters in a bear rich area in Kentucky that has had very little bear hunting you could rake in the $$$$. Leasing land would be the hardest part but if you only did it for bear hunting with the problems yall seem to have should not be that hard I would think. Few decent stands and some 55 gallon drums done the right way and cheap smelly/sweet bait and a decent ATV or UTV is all you would need. Also a lot of old cooking grease to put out around the bait site. Can't forget the insurance or wavers each hunter would have to sign to protect you and the landowner. We paid between $1,200 and $1,500 for a 5 day hunt in Manitoba and that was in US funds. The lower price didn't include lodging, the higher did. Food wise you were on your own. All the outfitters we used hunted Crown land but had limited number of license and dedicated spots from the Government. Last time we were there $1.00 US would get you $1.50 Canadian.
    I bet Lost Mountain would be first in line.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019