Be extra careful of those ticks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Duster, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just talk with a neighbor who had one bite him and put him in the hospital for 5 days. He said it was one of those so small it was hard to see. Doctors had a name for what he caught but he couldn't recall the exact name except it started with a A and is worse than Rocky Mountain spotted fever and was not lymes. His was the 4th case this year our little local hospital has had to treat.
    His kidneys shut down and that about done him in. Said his tongue stuck to the lower part of his mouth and he was so dehydrated it took gallons of IV fluid to get him back near normal.
    So be careful even of the little ones, the way he talk nobody should have to go thru what he did for 5 days and is still under treatment for who knows how long

KYMike26 and HNTRJH like this.
  2. BuckFeverFeen

BuckFeverFeen 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2015
    Somerset
    Anaplasmosis most likely.

3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Last week, I pulled off one of those small ticks that was on the bicep of my right arm. I had to really work to remove the tick, as it was so small having to "pry" it out. After that I rubbed some O-T-C antibiotic cream on it, but the next few days it itched like mad. Still have a small read spot where the tick was attached to my arm.

4. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
  5. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I scouted a property a little while back and had those suckers all over me. I also had shorts on a snake boots. Stupid on my part. Took 2 weeks to heal up and now I got scares on me. I've been using permathin ever since and haven't had any problems.

6. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    The farm I hunt is grown up clean to my head in the fields. I walked thru that this weekend to hunt and was soaking wet when I got to stand. Had a million of those seed ticks on me. I got several bites . When I got home I soaked in a bath of Hartz flea and tick shampoo...........what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    For whatever it's worth, I've had dogs for years and never had a problem with ticks until this year. Haven't found very many on them (unlike previous years where they've been everywhere) but almost lost one of them to a tick-related illness - weren't able to get a firm diagnosis but vet is sure that's what it was - a few months ago (took 3 days in veterinary ICU on IV's plus a full week of me working with him 24-7 to pull him thru) and just had another test positive for Ehrlichia (another tick-borne illness). For whatever reason, the diseases are really out there this year....

8. bobkg3

bobkg3 Fawn

Nov 2, 2014
    I really feel for anyone dealing with those little Devils lol. All in all probably one of the worst experiences of my outdoor career. Myself and my brother went on a early season bow hunt to western ky and were ruined by those vicious little itch factory's. We are both scared and firm believers in permethrin or staying home till cold weather lol

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Where I hunt its common to brush against a weed and pick up a 100 of the tiny little blood suckers. I've had them on me twice this year like that. I rush home and scrub down and I guess I'm ok. They look like the finest black pepper you can find. Im surprised I haven't picked up every tick disease out there as many as I've had on me over the years.

10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I had a hound with Ehrlichiosis last year. They will prescribe doxycycline. That sure gets expensive when you buy it from a vet.

When I had my tick-borne bacterium they prescribed me doxy also.

11. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    My vet in the past has written us a script to take to Walmart pharmacy so we could get meds off the $4 list for our dogs, and yes Walmart will take a script from a vet for a dog.

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I actually gave my hound the rest of the ones I had left over from when I was sick. Then I bought a jar from Okie Dog Supply for "fish." You don't need a prescription to buy the fish meds. Of course, a person assumes all risk if they go that route.

13. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    I've got them on me a couple times by the hundreds. Got very sick once. Never again.. use permethrin if you hunt where those little bastards live.

14. been at my place for 18 years. Up till 3 years ago, you stepped off the deck, you got a tick. Chickens for 3 years, not even seen a tick in my immediate yard this year. Went to the farm in greenville Sunday and brother said they are worse this year than ever. I sprayed down and went at it putting my new feeder out. While I got no bites, the feeder box, i placed back in the wifes Ford Edge. Bad mistake. She is eat up and NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!! :(