Basset hounds for doves?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Yettislayer, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Yettislayer

Yettislayer Spike

May 17, 2013
    Central KY
    I'll preface this by saying I LOVE Basset hounds. To me, there is no better breed, but I'll tip my hat to labs, the old American staple. I've had three and love them too.

Anyways, my wife has proved to be a formidable opponent in terms of becoming a dog owner (funny how she didn't fully express these opinions in the 3 years prior to the nuptials). We've essentially agreed that we want a laid back, mellow dog that will also be able to contribute to my hunting excursions. Based on this arrangement, I can basically rule out a lab or Chessie (I'm also a central KY duck hunter.... not much work here unless you're BRsutton... jealous). So, for arguments sake, I've tried to compile a list of things a well-trained basset can do other than the given talents of sleeping, napping and eating.

I've heard they make exceptional rabbit dogs, and I'm more than convinced he'll excel at deer tracking and shed hunting given proper training. However, two run ins with not-so-friendly dog owners this dove season prompted a question from me: can a basset excel at dove retrieval/ recovery? Do any of you folks think a basset could be trained to watch birds fly, fall and then retrieve them? I'm certain I could get one to nose around a field, but want to explore the possibilities of the dog in general. I understand they are scent dogs, but I think it would be very neat to watch him work a dove field in more ways than one.

Would love to hear any of y'all's opinions on the matter... even advice/ info on breeders in the area that you trust.

PM me

2. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    First off, I like Bassetts too. Have heard a bassett and beagle mix can make one hell of a rabbit dog.

Doves..... been wondering about this myself this week. I have a beagle that is great on rabbits. Used him last year to track a deer in the dark while it was raining. Found it in under a minute. I know that is frowned upon. He will not run a deer track. After losing several doves this weekend, I started wondering if he could bird hunt as well. He has an absolutely great temperament, is obedient, and already retrieves rabbits sometimes. Would be willing to try him on doves as long as it didn't hurt his rabbit hunting.

Looking forward to responses

3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Nothing to add, other than that I would drive a long way to watch a Basset hound dove hunt. I am grinning just thinking about the spectacle of it all.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm just wondering how in the world would you keep him from going and loving on every hunter in the field? LOL. Every basset I've ever known would rather greet strangers and be loved on more than anything..... Big lovable hounds!

5. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

We have a Bassett, she loves birds and bird feathers. She sneaks off and aggravates the pigeons in the loft every chance she gets. Here is the problem I see, while I am cleaning birds, she will steal one if she can and run off and eat it.

6. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

We have a wiem who is pretty much a couch potato. She has a pretty good retrieving instinct fetching bumpers and balls. They are really tuned into people, wife says she is half human. They don't shed enough that you would even notice and have no dog smell. And if you look hard enough you can still find field bred dogs. For a big dog in the house I always recommend a wiem.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    We sold a beagle to a guy that used him when dove hunting. Beagles are very versatile dogs. I believe a Bassett could be used for dove hunting, no doubt. I would make sure I got one from hunting lines rather than Show lines.

I'm not sure how Bassetts handle heat. That would be something to consider. I've never heard any negatives concerning heat but I'm not a Bassett guy.

8. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

[​IMG]

A fine example of one of those high energy basset retrievers.

9. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Oh, I see you got one of those tile warmers, eh?

10. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

[​IMG]

Actually I have 2.

11. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    I've been wondering about taking my walker bound to the dove field too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    That would be a great way to get a public dove field all to yourself...note to self. Lol

13. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Personally, I've never understood the fascination of thrying to train dogs to do things they weren't bred to do. I've got a buddy that likes to try cross breeds and such, and he has yet to find one better than the dogs specifically bred for our purposes. I've just never been a fan of trying to pound round pegs in to square holes, but then again, I have been accused of being a dog snob, too! :p

14. remman2

remman2 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2014
    X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I understand where you're coming from. I'm a houndman, more specifically, a beagle houndman. However, in the U.S. we've produced some damn awesome dogs using them for different purposes then bred. Foxhounds were brought over and then developed into coonhounds. Most all coonhounds trace back to foxhounds. Likewise, in the beginning all Walker hounds were run on fox. They called them Running Walkers. Then we started crossing known Walkers that treed foxes. That developed the Treeing Walker which is now an awesome tree dog used on coon, mountain lions, jaguar, bobcat and bear. The Running Walkers are used on coyotes and wolves until the antis got that shut down.

Sometimes you just have to keep on keeping on with what you got on hand. I squirrel hunted once with a Lab-Dalmation mix that was a treeing machine. She never retrieved a duck in her life or road shotgun on a fire truck:)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015