Bass transplanting

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Iceman35, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Our house lot backs up to a retention pond. Through some stocking by me, and plenty of natural stocking by the damn ducks and geese, it got to be overrun with sunfish and frogs. The past couple of years, I’ve been catching bass at other lakes, bringing them home, and realeasing them in said pond. Got a large tub and an aerator to put in the back of the truck. Brought home the final 3 on Friday morning, to bring it up to the limit of bass/acre according to all I’ve read. Anyway, as I’m pouring them from bucket to tub in the parking lot, someone there asked me what I was doing so I told them. He seemed to get upset and told me what I was doing was illegal in KY. I told him if he could show me in the fishing regs, of which I had a printed copy in the truck, where that was illegal, I’d gladly whack the bass over the head and then take them home and eat them. He didn’t take to this kindly, said it wasn’t in the “normal” regs but in some other mysterious location, and proceeded into a monologue about the population of this lake not being able to support taking bass, and how he had never been able to even catch any.(Both statements I find definitively impossible).

Got me thinking though. Other than non-native, or invasive species, anyone actually know that this would be illegal? I can’t find anywhere that it is, though it is illegal in some other states.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Are the bass you’re catching to release legal size? If not, that would be the only “illegal” thing that I know of. I, too, would have to go back and read more carefully.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Are all fish from within ky? You cant move fish from oos (even if native species) without a permit. They wont grant a permit if you are taking the oos fish from the wild but you can get disease free OOS fish from a hatchery. The purpose is to prevent spread of viral hemorrhagic septicemia.
    I stocked my pond with talapia a few years back and needed a non native OOS transport permit. Game warden inspected my pond and approved. He was assessing the risk of my fish getting into other bodies of water (overflow)
    You may need a 25$ transport permit to be 100% legal but id double check with your CO and /or frankfort. They sure dont make it easy to look it up yourself. https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Documents/fishtransportpermit.pdf

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I remember you speaking on this in a past thread. Man, my advice, is catch and eat often on those talapia. Those jokers multiply like crazy. I know Florida and Ky are different but I’ve watched how fast they can multiply down there. They are not native to Florida either and they already hold the world record.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

If you run across that guy again tell him he is full of BS. If what he says is true you couldn't buy fish off the truck that comes to Rural King each month to stock a pond. They were your fish caught legal and yours to do with as you please. Only thing I could see is if your HOA has a regulation about stocking that pond.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Oscars are another fish that can take over. I recall way back in the 60's catching some of them in Northern Florida. People had them for pets and once they got tired of them dump them in waterways. They would nest up like bluegill and easy to catch. Most under a pound in size. But every now and then you caught a fat one.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Fish truck has permits.
    There is a difference between getting fish from a certified and inspected hatchery vs moving fish from pond to pond.
    He may need nothing or he may need to fill out a form and pay 25$, im not certian but its worth checking to stay legal and keep the neighborhood duche in check. Id like to see the look on the duche’s face when iceman whips out his permit signed by frankfort. Worth the 25$ BS fee.

Nock, aceoky and barney like this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    They all die mid november when water temps fall in ky. They go into shock and you can net them before they die.

bigbonner, barney and xbokilla like this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    So do you just raise them for eating purposes? Keep the pond clean? Or what? Our AG dept raises and sells them and will occasionally have a big fish fry fundraiser at the end of the year.

10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Just wanted to try it. They cleaned up the pond good. The bass and cats hammered their fry and they produced a lot. The negative for me was while trying to catch hundreds of talapia i ended up catching and injuring/killing my larger bass. And waiting to net them all in november just isnt any fun.

xbokilla likes this.
  11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    He may want to control everything that goes on in his hood or he may be concerned iceman doesnt know what he is doing and will negatively impact fishing. Either way its good to know whats legal and kdfwr doesnt always make it easy.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Tell neighbor to go pound sand.
    He is just sticking his nose in where it sont belong.

aceoky likes this.
  14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I think your wrong once you leave that fish truck with any fish you buy it is up to you to do as you please with them. The state don't care. Those fish trucks do not sell non native species. Throw them in the darn parking lot if you want. Same as catching fish one place and stocking them in another.

15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    What i meant is the fish truck carries a permit for that transaction. Getting fish from them is perfectly legal.

I dont think you need a permit to move fish from 1 ky pond to another but its worth checking cause at most there is an annual 25$ fee for fish transportation. I am 100% certain it is illegal to move an OOS fish to a pond without a permit as i have already checked into this a couple of years ago.

aceoky likes this.