bass mount

kybowhunter88

6 pointer
Feb 1, 2008
Ok fellas, I'm getting ready to have a bass mounted. I'm kinda wanting to have it mounted in a scene with another bass I already have mounted. I want it to be something I can hang on the wall and not take up too much room. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'd love to see some pictures if anyone else has anything like this already.

nutcase

8 pointer
Sep 27, 2004
Murray, Ky
it all depends on how the first bass is mounted. if it is a skin mount, it will prob have a bad side and that will come into play. also the turn, mouth position. Slapping two fish on one mount can be real work it is meant to look alive. but I've also seen some less that par jobs where they are on the same piece of wood facing different directions . I 'm working on a mount that will have atleast two in it. I have a 7# LM in the freezer, but after talking to fish pros last week it may stay there for reference only. and I may do reproductions for a full 3d mount. Post a pic of your current fish mount and I may be able to help alittle more

kybowhunter88

6 pointer
Feb 1, 2008
I'll try and get a picture of my current mount up soon. Just wondering, why are you going to go with reproductions for the 3d mount instead of skin mounts? Also, for $10 an inch is it unreasonable for me to expect the fins to be repaired? They aren't messed up bad. Just the usual lil tears.

M

mrdux

Normal fin repair should be included in the base price of your mount. You asked about using a reproduction for a 3D pose rather than a skin mount. A 360 skin mount is very time consuming and is normally only used for a competition mount or a high dollar piece. It essentially requires 2X the work and the form must be custom carved or a perfect fit if a commercial form is used. Very few commercial taxidermists will even offer to do a 360 skin mount.

As far as putting a 2nd fish on an existing piece or putting an old mount on with a new one; I would only offer to do such if I was repainting and repairing the old mount as part of the piece. I have no desire to have my work next to somebody else's work that might not be up to my standards. That may sound arrogant but most artists don't want their work brought down by other work that may not be nearly as good. You can put a good paint job on a bad mount and it will be a bad mount with a good paint job, it won't raise the quality of a bad piece. I recently had a guy who thought he would save a few $$ by taking his 3 pound crappie to somebody cheaper. When he picked it up, he brought it straight to my studio and said he would not hang it in his house looking like it did. I priced doing a bunch of epoxy work and repainting it but warned him it still would not be as good as it would have been had he brought it to me in the 1st place. The mount was terrible and a bunch of scales were gone. When I got it done and he came to pick it up, he said he had learned his lesson of trying to save a few $$ on taxidermy work. The fish looked good when it left but it was still a structurally bad mount with a good paint job. He ended up with much more in the piece than he would have had if he had brought it to me in the first place.

nutcase

8 pointer
Sep 27, 2004
Murray, Ky
x2 on what Mr. Dux said.

I've been working on a few shoulder mounts that are in the same shape as the crappie he was describing. I can't completely fix them but make them alittle more presentable.

Latest posts