baseball a "tired sport"...Bryce harper..

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Mar 10, 2016.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I kinda agree with Harper. Baseball, as well as all professional sports, should do more to develop personalities. I don't think they need to go to WWE extremes, but like some have said that they find it boring and/or slow. And now look at everything else it has to compete against. I think they should develop, or at least let them flourish, along the the likes of Ocho Cinco, or even the Monmouth basketball bench. Maybe you didn't like what they did, but how many people tuned into Sports Center to see their latest antics?

2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I just can't help but wonder just how good Mickey Mantle would have been were he not a fall down drunk.

I'm glad later in life he was remorseful, and changed his ways. Read his autobiography years ago and enjoyed it. I'm obviously not old enough to have seen him play, but sounds like if he had been sober, and not hurt quite as much, the guy may have hit 800 homers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County

A lot of the "old timers" played well despite their various vices. Look at Babe Ruth, despite Aaron and Bonds, arguably the best home run hitter ever. Ruth drank and ate like their was no tomorrow, and was a womanizer. Yet, look at how well he played the game of baseball. Mickey Mantle's biggest problem as a player wasn't alcohol, but injuries, primarily a pair of bad knees. He played injured most of his career, yet still managed to put up some incredible numbers. I saw Mantle play, on television of course, during his prime and he was a good one....when he was healthy. Now, Mantle certainly drank a lot and also chased women, I'm not defending him, but the guy rarely played when he wasn't injured. I doubt many of today's players could go thru what the old timers had to put up with, as times have really changed.

4. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    You and I feel the same way about baseball. I have never been able to enjoy it.

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I guess what I meant was, that had he not been a drunk womanizer, could he have been injured less, or recovered quicker?

I will point out that I think trying to insert players from different eras into present day baseball, or vice versa, is absurd. In Mantle's day, they did not have the specialized bullpen, or the statistics on batters and pitchers to allow managers to create the best matchup. Conversely, Harper would have had his head knocked off a dozen times by now. Pretty sure a guy like Bob Gibson would have seen how he acted, and tried to end his career.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Baseball fixes.

148-154 game season. Game Seven of the World Series shall be played no later than Oct 31.
    Lower the mound to 6".
    You bring in a relief pitcher he gets 5 pitches from the mound (or 2 minutes from when skip hands him the ball) unless he is brought in due to an injury to the previous pitcher. (That might already be in place but it takes forever when there is a pitching change.)
    Don't expand to the 40 man roster in September. That one has always struck me as weird. You play 90% of the season under one set of rules then they change.

A minor leage game moves along at a pretty good pace. No consideration given for commercial breaks on tv. MLB games don't start the next half of the inning until the network is back from commercial break. Think college basketball as well, those built in timeouts kill the flow.

As far as Harper goes. He acts like a punk at times. His team mates don't have his back so that should tell you a little something. He wants to dance around and wear his eye black all over his face like a minstrel go for but don't belly-ache when one comes up under your chin or at your ear hole. The purpose pitch has a purpose.

7. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I ate, drank, slept, and dreamed baseball until the 94 strike. I wrote baseball off for life. I'll admit when my son wanted to start playing baseball I was happy and didn't want to taint his joy of the game. The Tampa Bay Rays gave us Veterans an Honor Pass last year where we could take one other person to the game for free from I want to say like late august to the end of regular season you could go to as many home games as you wanted and they were usually great seat a few rows up down first base line or behind the plate. My faith in the game is returning at least in the local team. That was a really cool thing for them to do.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    how so? is this based on the idiot Paps trying to choke him or something else? seems his issue is/was coming into the league as a 19 yr old stud baseball player that wears his emotions on his sleeve.

9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    And the fact that you didn't really see anyone else speaking out negatively about Papelbon doing what he did. I get the impression that the rest of the dugout was glad someone put him in his place.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I'm not a harper or nationals fan boy, but I do hope they both do well. I live in the "shadows" of DC, about 40 miles out. the only thing negative that has ever been on the radio talk shows or in the papers is all the attention Harper got when he came into the league. the vets didn't think he had paid his dues yet but was projected as the face of the franchise and that rubbed them the wrong way. now that harper has produced like he has, per the talking heads here, he is highly respected by his peers. as far as Papelbon, many on the club wish he was back with the Phillies. evidently he is a jerk. had issues in the past and the nats knew what they were getting. he didn't produce and has a no trade clause.

evidently Harper is a devout Mormon. a non-drinker and does a lot for the local community.

11. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

Baseball has no rule or punishment for dancing or showboating or however else you need to feed your own ego. If Harper wants to dance, he can dance all he wants, just be prepared to duck when somebody takes exception to it. I wish football would allow that same concept. Dance all you want but we don't want to hear you cry when somebody lays you out.

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I know a guy that's never watched a second of baseball since the strike. It was a bunch of crap. Of course, I think money is out of control in all professional sports.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Baseball has always been the game to police its own in that regard..I kinda like it that way.."Learn the right way or we will learn you the right way" kinda thing..I think baseball has always been a sport that gives the most respect to its veterans..

14. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I loved playing baseball but a game or 2 a year is all I watch on tv. It's long and slow. Go to a legends game or 2 is decent. My daughter is now in softball and honestly it's more fun to watch. With slap hits and shorter bases, it's just a more exciting game to watch. They don't waste time with the pitcher and batter taking 10 mins to have a play either.

15. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Baseball is played as much between your ears as it is on the field. I suppose our society's general case of ADD is some cause for the lack of appreciation for the sport.

Even in the times of inaction there is action, if you know the game.