Barrel smoker?

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by KYBOY, Dec 12, 2019.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Anyone use a barrel smoker? I’m thinking of building one and was wondering how y’all liked them?

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
  3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    invasion36, pentail and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Cousin of mine has one. It works great, and turns out some awesome food. I think he told me he had about $30 in the whole thing.

Carl and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  5. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Can you do a high heat paint on the outside to try to keep the heat within the Barrell, we're can you locate the food grade barrels to make one out of. Most ones I have found have had oil in them, and then you have to burn the outside and in to get rid of contaiminents, and then paint again

6. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    My sons bought me an Electric smoker with the exact same plan as the diagram Pentail posted. It was less that $100 and works great. I lay small hickory limbs on the electric element in the bottom to get the smoke. No tending the Far, I did that for years.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South

[​IMG]

Not trying to talk you out of a Barrel, but this lectric smoker is so easy. I bought a dual probe thermometer and you are set.

Carl and drakeshooter like this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Nice looking truck you got there JR beside the smoker

JR in KY likes this.
  9. invasion36

invasion36 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    You won’t regret it! Like Pentail said temp holds great once you learn where yours likes to be. Very fuel efficient. I can do 16 hour smokes on 1 basket easy. I have never had to use a water pan. Everything comes out very juicy and not dried out. I only had a 30 gallon drum so mine is a mini version. Had it for 6 years now and still going strong. Going to build another but use a 55 gallon drum next time.

kyoutdoorsman and KYBOY like this.
  10. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I've been using the Pit Barrel Cooker, which is essentially a UDS, for about 5 years. I love it. I made this tonight!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]