barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    We save seed every year but something happened this year. Idk if it got mislabeled or what but our yellow stripey's was straight yellow to almost a orange color. A variety we don't grow in years past that I can remember.

barney likes this.
  2. I wonder if it was more hybrid than true heirloom stock, resulting in a variety of phenotypes expressed?

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Idk for sure but I'm betting your right. We always write on the paper towels with seed with a sharpie. Kinda hard to screw that up lol

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Now that's a mater!

bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Sometimes the heat will make stripey's more yellow with less red, especially the smaller fruit up the plant. It's always a good idea to save some seeds from several selected plants within the population too.

I saved some seed yesterday from the grafted determinate plants I'm de-hybridizing. This seed makes generation 6. It's been really stable for several generations now, but I still select seed from plants for productivity, size, and fruit shape.
    [​IMG]

Bee, dirtstalker, Munson and 4 others like this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I didn't plan on catfish today, but I found this early this morning at Kroger. I bought all 4 packs.
    [​IMG]
    When I got home I went straight and dug a couple of hills of Kennebec taters for fries.
    [​IMG]
    Catfish with garden slaw, and hand cut, twice fried Kennebec fries. IMHO, there is no better french fry tater than a Kennebec!
    [​IMG]

Nock, Bee, dirtstalker and 6 others like this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Where’s the hush puppies

barney likes this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I hardly ever do hush puppies anymore, but they would have sure been good!

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  9. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I finally remembered the name of the batter/seasoning my buddy orders ot of Texas that's the shiznit lol. Southern star. Not cheap but damn good if you like a little spice

barney likes this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Damn fine meal Barney!

barney likes this.
  11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    What is a 2x fried kennebec fry? Honestly idk what that is. I do t get out of east ky much lol

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Kennebec was a chipping and frying tater developed in the 40's I think. No matter when it was developed it's the best french fry variety ever to me and many others. I grew up on them, and they are a great all purpose tater to boil, bake, or fry.

By twice fried I mean I fry the fries once until they are just tender then remove them and bring the oil temperature back up to 350-360 degrees, then drop the fries back in for just a few minutes until they crisp up. Doing this with a good dry fleshed tater variety makes for firm and crisp fries that are very pleasing to consume.

13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Kennebec are all dad would ever raise, now and then he might plant a few rows of red potatoes, he always said they had to much water in em.That the first I’d heard of twice fried also.

barney likes this.
  14. Some chefs even give them a short boil and drain before frying but that just sounds like a bad idea to me.

barney likes this.
  15. I was reading up on Five Guys fries and they only buy potatoes grown above the 42nd parallel. Something about the cool nights they only grow during day and it makes them very dense. Some other stuff they do differently. Pretty interesting.

Nock, bondhu and barney like this.