barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Try some "slap ya mama" hot sauce and seasoning. Seasoning is a touch salty so don't over do it

2. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Ive been in the Hen of the woods 'shrooms pretty good this month but haven't seen any Chicken of the woods where Ive been looking. Looks like some of you are in the Chickens pretty good. Friends found a pile of Chanterelles. This big rain through the yearhas made a good year for the fungi l think

bondhu, Nock and barney like this.
  3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That is some good hot sauce. Somebody brought me a bottle back from somewhere. I'd like to find another one.

barney likes this.
  4. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Amazon

bondhu, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I had a package of Johnsonville Italian sausage in the freezer that needed to be used.
    [​IMG]

6. Y’all ever make a few quarts of stovetop mater juice? I put up 8 quarts last night and trying to get 7-8 more this morning. Cheap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bee, bondhu, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I made a gallon of Brandywine juice last week to keep from losing them. I didn't can it, just put it in a milk jug and froze it. It'll make a nice batch of pasta sauce sometime this winter.

We've canned over 25 gallons of whole maters and juice this year. We may make one more small run in the next week or so before the flavor drops off the cliff.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Bee, Lady Hunter, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  8. Them old mid to late September maters sure do lose their taste.

barney likes this.
  9. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Sure do. Never understood it. Most of mine are died up by then anyway

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I pulled all garden out 2 weeks ago. Dont care much for a garden mater after aug 1. I do enjoy a good hot house mater after that

barney likes this.
  11. If I didn’t care for maters after August 1st I’d be in deep doo doo seeing how I get most of my crop in August.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  12. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Most of mine hit end of june..into july. I still.have maters in august. They just loose their taste and get tough. I fed whats left to the hogs..they love em regardless lol

Dark Cloud, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  13. Brandywine doesn’t get in any hurry and that’s mostly what I grow.

Here’s a German Johnson I’m getting ready to peel for lunch.

[​IMG]

Bee, Lady Hunter, JR in KY and 4 others like this.
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Do you save seeds? I save seed at times .

I finally went and found some Sausage seasoning at Dunhams in Maysville . I want to order the Leggs number10 seasoning and give it a try.
    I found pork tenderloin on sale again at Save A Lot for a $1.69 a pound . I cut it into and froze half of it . We ground the other half and seasoned it .
    It is some of the best Sausage we have ever had , I added no fat to it other than what was on the loin. I did not think it would hold together but it did just fine . I am figuring that I have less than $2 a pound in great sausage now.

15. No I don’t save seed much but I should.

barney likes this.