barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Pulled a jar of canned venison out of the pantry today for venison Philly cheese quesadillas.....
20220818_120130.jpg

20220818_120644.jpg

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
@Lady Hunter do you can Zucchini? Could you share your process? Thanks in advance!
I have but let me preface the rest of my post by saying that the only approved methods for canning zucchini are as zucchini relish or mock pineapple. Processes for both are available online.

That said, at one time there were reportedly approved methods for canning summer squashes such as zucchini but the documentation for the tests that produced those methods has been lost.

What I've found from sites that reference old canning manuals is that quarts of chunked summer squash should be topped off with water (salt optional) and then pressure canned for 40 minutes at the poundage appropriate for your elevation. Usually 10# but may be more at higher elevations.

If you choose to can shredded zucchini, be very careful to ensure that it isn't too thick in the jar so that the heat can penetrate fully.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I have but let me preface the rest of my post by saying that the only approved methods for canning zucchini are as zucchini relish or mock pineapple. Processes for both are available online.

That said, at one time there were reportedly approved methods for canning summer squashes such as zucchini but the documentation for the tests that produced those methods has been lost.

What I've found from sites that reference old canning manuals is that quarts of chunked summer squash should be topped off with water (salt optional) and then pressure canned for 40 minutes at the poundage appropriate for your elevation. Usually 10# but may be more at higher elevations.

If you choose to can shredded zucchini, be very careful to ensure that it isn't too thick in the jar so that the heat can penetrate fully.
I was hoping to do zucchini spears to use in zucchini fries. :). Todays dinner was homemade chicken salad on a bed of garden spinach with quartered garden tomatoes and zucchini fries.

So could I just cut the zucchini in quarters, drop into a quart jar with a pinch of salt, some crisper, and cover with water and can for 40 mins and be good?

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
I was hoping to do zucchini spears to use in zucchini fries. :). Todays dinner was homemade chicken salad on a bed of garden spinach with quartered garden tomatoes and zucchini fries.

So could I just cut the zucchini in quarters, drop into a quart jar with a pinch of salt, some crisper, and cover with water and can for 40 mins and be good?
Officially no but..... I'd do it. Texture is going to be really mushy tho.

Latest posts