barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

slobear

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2014
Trump town, USA
Fired that griddle up again this morning and went with an omelette filled with bacon, sautéed onions and yellow pear cherry tomatoes, cheddar and American cheese along with a side of bacon, hash browns, Cherokee purple mater and Texas toast toast. Carried me through lunch today.

XjKcmAu.jpg
Properly cooked egg 👍

Luther's Feist

10 pointer
Oct 25, 2014
Coeburn, Va
@Luther's Feist could explain your soup bean canning process? Wife's Amish friend gave her a Quart other day and they looked just like Yours.
Are you supposed to Re-Cook them for a while with added water or What? Look dry on top??
That was my first attempt and actually didn't have enough water in them, hence why they look a little dry at top.

Soaked the beans overnight, rinsed and put in a pot, added seasoning, and let boil for 30 minutes. Then we put them in quart jars and into the pressure canner for 90 minutes at 10psi. They were fairly easy to do but like I said my first time and made a few mistakes. I actually googled how to do it and figured I'd give it a try. We opened one jar and ate them this evening and they were pretty good. When you do eat them you do have to hear them up and I added a little more water with a beef bouillon cube to make a little extra soup.

Also get the 5 pound bag of beans. I used the 4pound and was about a half quart short on one jar

Last edited:

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I had brown beans, salmon patties and fried taters last night and leftovers again tonight.
I like homemade biscuits and the soup off the beans. I tear up the biscuit and put in the bean soup with a little onion on the side.
I take my beans and spread some pear relish on top. That is a big meal all by itself.
We would like to can some after we cook the beans and have thought about doing it.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
That was my first attempt and actually didn't have enough water in them, hence why they look a little dry at top.

Soaked the beans overnight, rinsed and put in a pot, added seasoning, and let boil for 30 minutes. Then we put them in quart jars and into the pressure canner for 90 minutes at 10psi. They were fairly easy to do but like I said my first time and made a few mistakes. I actually googled how to do it and figured I'd give it a try. We opened one jar and ate them this evening and they were pretty good. When you do eat them you do have to hear them up and I added a little more water with a beef bouillon cube to make a little extra soup.

Also get the 5 pound bag of beans. I used the 4pound and was about a half quart short on one jar
You can speed the process up a bit by covering sorted and washed beans with boiling water in a saucepan. Boil 2 minutes, remove from heat, soak 1 hour and drain. Cover beans with fresh water and boil 30 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon of salt per pint or 1 teaspoon per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with beans or peas and cooking water, leaving 1-inch headspace. And then process. (This is an quick hydration method approved by the National Center for Home Food Preservation.)

Or..... you can be a rebel & do it the way a whole lotta people do which is not approved by any alphabet agency and will have the pearl clutchers grabbing their chests and keeling over. No presoak/cook. Just add 1 cup of rinsed & sorted beans to a quart jar. Add salt. Add boiling water to 1" headspace. Put the lids on & process for 90 minutes. I'll admit - this is how I usually do it & have been for years. It hasn't killed us yet..... (The reason I'm comfortable doing this is because I always bring beans to a boil for 10 minutes or so before we eat them. Just dump the jar in a pot on the stove & bring it to a boil for 10 minutes or so. This kills off any toxins that MIGHT be in home-canned foods. I don't do this when I follow NCHFP guidelines but generally do when I don't.)

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
I already can a BUNCH of soups (soup beans, white chili, mixed beans, chili, pasta e faglioli, venison stew, zuppa tuscana, chicken soup, veggie soup, veni veggie soup, tortilla soup, you name it).

I've got this one that I'm gonna try when I get a chance though.... Will leave the rice out of the jars & then heat & serve over fresh rice when we want to eat it.

South Louisiana Style Camellia White Beans and Rice

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound smoked or Andouille sausage, sliced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large stalk celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound Camellia Brand Great Northern Beans
  • 8-10 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • Creole seasoning, to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions, plus extra for garnish
  • Hot cooked rice

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Hmmm.... Can't wait to try this one! A Skatterbrain Spice Cake (used Skatterbrain Peanut Whiskey in the cake and in the glaze).

300108772_10223483500328582_4966026526888435489_n.jpg

p.s. The bundt pan is the ONLY cast iron bundt pan currently being produced here in the US. The brand is Carolina Cooker and they're only available online or in Agri Supply stores.

300459697_10223483501448610_6574533804561507599_n.jpg

Luther's Feist

10 pointer
Oct 25, 2014
Coeburn, Va
You can speed the process up a bit by covering sorted and washed beans with boiling water in a saucepan. Boil 2 minutes, remove from heat, soak 1 hour and drain. Cover beans with fresh water and boil 30 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon of salt per pint or 1 teaspoon per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with beans or peas and cooking water, leaving 1-inch headspace. And then process. (This is an quick hydration method approved by the National Center for Home Food Preservation.)

Or..... you can be a rebel & do it the way a whole lotta people do which is not approved by any alphabet agency and will have the pearl clutchers grabbing their chests and keeling over. No presoak/cook. Just add 1 cup of rinsed & sorted beans to a quart jar. Add salt. Add boiling water to 1" headspace. Put the lids on & process for 90 minutes. I'll admit - this is how I usually do it & have been for years. It hasn't killed us yet..... (The reason I'm comfortable doing this is because I always bring beans to a boil for 10 minutes or so before we eat them. Just dump the jar in a pot on the stove & bring it to a boil for 10 minutes or so. This kills off any toxins that MIGHT be in home-canned foods. I don't do this when I follow NCHFP guidelines but generally do when I don't.)
Thanks for posting that. I couldn't quiet recall what all the recipe called for and @JR in KY was wanting it. That's same one I used. Although mine were a little dry due to not enough water they are still really good. I'm just learning how to can and figured the soup beans were a cheap thing to practice with, liked em so much gonna try to do more. Also thinking about buying a canner so as I don't have to keep borrowing one

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for posting that. I couldn't quiet recall what all the recipe called for and @JR in KY was wanting it. That's same one I used. Although mine were a little dry due to not enough water they are still really good. I'm just learning how to can and figured the soup beans were a cheap thing to practice with, liked em so much gonna try to do more. Also thinking about buying a canner so as I don't have to keep borrowing one
Warning: it's addicting......

HAVE FUN!!!!!