barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
I would like to save some seeds out of that big tomato .
Never ever save the seed from a big mater. Save your seed from the little maters on the plant the big one came from. Big fruit come from big flowers which are more likely to become cross pollinated than smaller flowers. Genetics would be identical as long as fruit comes from the same plant.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Never ever save the seed from a big mater. Save your seed from the little maters on the plant the big one came from. Big fruit come from big flowers which are more likely to become cross pollinated than smaller flowers. Genetics would be identical as long as fruit comes from the same plant.

This is a prime example the wealth of knowledge we have available on this site.

slobear

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2014
Trump town, USA
If you remember I messaged you on that other site when I recognized some of your pictures. That was after you had left this site.

I’ve grown tomatoes all my life and know about mega blossoms but I have never thought about your statement. Damn, you smart brother!!!

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I had a strain of big pinks that was pretty much all meat. They had very few seeds in them.
I kept growing them for years and they would produce all summer long. I did not tie them up and I planted them along one of my tobacco patches all by their selves to keep them pure. They were great tasting and huge.
Somehow, I lost the seeds when I moved out of my old house and built my new one. I also had big reds that was same as the pinks and planted them in a different place.
To keep any vegetable pure you can bag them with mesh pollen bags. I have done that a lot with different types of tobacco.

Fired that griddle up again this morning and went with an omelette filled with bacon, sautéed onions and yellow pear cherry tomatoes, cheddar and American cheese along with a side of bacon, hash browns, Cherokee purple mater and Texas toast toast. Carried me through lunch today.

XjKcmAu.jpg

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Fired that griddle up again this morning and went with an omelette filled with bacon, sautéed onions and yellow pear cherry tomatoes, cheddar and American cheese along with a side of bacon, hash browns, Cherokee purple mater and Texas toast toast. Carried me through lunch today.

XjKcmAu.jpg
Looks great!

My grandmother always had a couple of yellow pear plants for preserves. The plants would self sow and grandma would either thin to a couple of plants each spring or move a couple of the plants to a different spot to grow.