barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Yep. Except meats are always 75 pints/90 quarts (except fish which are only approved for half pints or pints, both of which require 100 minutes of processing).
I watched Tim Farmer just now and they covered in chicken broth and a little rendered grease and processed like you wound any other meat, 60 min for pints and 90 for quarts I believe it was. I wouldn’t be brave enough to eat it without processing.
Botulism scares me, i dont understand how food can lack a bad smell, but be bad.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Botulism scares me, i dont understand how food can lack a bad smell, but be bad.
Yeah... Not a good way to die....

You can always hard boil your food for 10 minutes to be on the safe side but I prefer following canning procedures that have been tested and proven safe. (There are a few things I'll go rogue on because there are a lot of things that simply haven't been tested. But I try to find a similar recipe that has been tested and go from there.)

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
We can sausage patties. Jars in the oven while sausage is frying. Once completely fried, straight into a hot jar. Cover in liquid lard..lid on right away and flip over.
Never have gotten sick this way, but it's risky for sure.
My mom grew up doing this..she turns 81 on monday.
Like I said, a lotta folks still do it that way. I'm just not that brave.... (Kinda wish I was though because that sounds sooooo much tastier than the "tested & approved" method.)

Nock

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2012
Butler co
ACD147C1-2F7B-4307-A7ED-DFC74537092A.jpeg

One them .99 cent butts

Latest posts