barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Same here but the family(girls) don't like them very much. Say they are too much and harder to eat.
    I'll grab it by the bone and hold it up, "what's hard about that?"

Winchester94 and barney like this.
  3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like all chicken, my mothers favorite piece of chicken ,was backs and necks

barney likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I found this yesterday afternoon so I called in sick this morning.
    [​IMG]
    Then I dug a hill of Rose Finn Apple fingerlings, and picked some lettuce.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As the bacon grease and herb coated fingerlings were roasting I threw some pork chops on the grill.
    [​IMG]
    While the chops were resting, and the taters finishing I sauteed up some of the hen in butter, evoo and a little finely grated onion and garlic. I may have to call in tomorrow as well!
    [​IMG]

5. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I would founder myself on that meal!

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Cut them up before you cook them.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Barney, you're my hero. Anyone who calls in sick to get supper going is a bad ass.

Feedman, Snareman2, Tankt and 2 others like this.
  9. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I thought the same thing lol

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm waiting for him to post his supper being cooked on Tiktok.

JR in KY, barney and Tankt like this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Those chops not only look delicious, they look like Fred Flintstone dinosaur size.

I've decided that if I were to ever enter a potato peeling contest, I would win last place, but I finally finished and have them on boil, with plans to mix them with black-eyed peas when done. All the previous chatter about such made me want some. I'm also about to search for modern day, new fangled potato peeling machines, learning whether they have been invented.

rcb216 and barney like this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Meatloaf finally within the oven (keep refrigerator colder than most people...), and I improvised, as well as changed up my tried and true recipe handed down, just creatively winging it. Hate Yankee style meatloaf, having ALWAYS used dry oatmeal flakes which I failed to realize was not within my kitchen. So, a dilemma ensued once again.

Thought to make some cornbread but 86'd that idea, after discovering weevils within the ziplock bag...:eek: Decided upon a fresh packet of salted Kellogg's Club Crackers, using all of one of them. Time will soon tell...

Slow fried three pieces of thick bacon oinking down one piece. Pulled the meat setting it aside. Tossed my halved grape tomatoes and diced yellow onions into the drippings, partially caramelizing them with big chunks of ground peppercorns, tossing in some brown sugar at the very end, pulling the veggies and setting aside. Just for extra, I added some larger than the other day pieces of diced onions and green bell peppers to the partially prepared ground beef, and some finely diced garlic, as well as more ground peppercorns, donning my gloves and thoroughly working it, which didn't take long being only half to three-quarters of a pound, maybe (smallest I've ever made other than within a cupcake pan). Worked in half of the carmelized veggies and some ketchup to the mix with the previous Worcestershire sauce, as well as some of the bacon drippings and a splash of milk, along with half to three quarters of mixed egg. Then some oregano.

Greased the small pan with the remaining drippings and pressed in the loaf. Placed a quarter inch of ketchup atop all, finely ground peppercorns, then layered on the two bacon strips and remaining carmelized veggies. We'll see...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 4:46 PM
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    ^... just removed the foil cover and poured off the drippings, cranking up to 425° for ten and uncovered. Smells good. Just going to make a sandwich out of it tonight, if eatable. Don't feel like spending anymore time in there and hungry. Will edit post as to thoughts.
    ‐--------------------------------------
    Tasted Yankeefied to me, but making a sandwich out of it is all the same, so...

Regardless, I can discern that mixing in the lightly carmelized halved grape tomatoes and diced onions with pinch of brown sugar just might make a nice addition to the tried and true dry oatmeal recipe of old, holding the extra bacon drippings added to the loaf, while retaining the bacon strips on top as always. Willl try that next time. If I had searched a bit longer, I would have found two more bags of okay cornmeal for cornbread to try, but I'll pass anyway.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 6:07 PM
  14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Dang

barney likes this.