barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    P.S.

Cannot recall ever trying peanut butter but love it. Do possess a weakness for Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake, when in a pinch for time or merely being lazy. Cut two one inch slices late night yesterday, loading them up with a thick layer of more soft butter, sprinkled some cinnamon and cardamom atop all, pressed just a handful of blueberries atop all, sprinkling with brown sugar, then layered each piece with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream and dribbled honey atop all. Did it with a plastic knife and was too lazy to retreive a fork; so, I used the plastic knife to cut thin slivers of all, eating it with the knife, being that it stuck to it. That made it all the better, believe it or not.

Winchester94 and barney like this.
  2. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Excellent Post. Thanks for sharing.:D

JR in KY, Bee and barney like this.
  3. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Love that cast iron. The waffles are making my mouth water. You are a good one, Lady Hunter.

Snareman2, Nock, Winchester94 and 2 others like this.
  4. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Pork roast from half a Boston butt

20210907_120537_copy_1560x2080.jpg

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Good looking plate

barney likes this.
  6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Lady H, last year at a dove hunt on a friends place I noticed there were three old pears trees literally breaking down with the largest hard pears (that is what I call them) or olde time pears. It is a a variety that looks similar to yours.

Friend said take all the pears you want as we dont do anything with them. I picked couple of bushels, and most of them were easy reach, and without a front end loader! A friend in Alabama puts-up pear preserves annually and Ive lalked to her a good bit about how she and her mother made the preserves , So l set about reducing the bushels of pears to preserves.

If you have never peeled a hard pear it is about like peeling a baseball. I got them all sugared down and made several jars of various sizes. Took some to my friend who owned the tree. He and his father in law asked for more, and I ended up giving them most of the canned preserves. The preserves were about as good as anything you ever put on a hot biscuit even if i do say so myself .

I have picked a similar pear around some old house places in Idaho when I have been bird hunting out there. Fruit trees are everywhere in some of the western areas of Idaho. Climate similar to Oregon and Washington state. There are many varieties of apple trees , plum trees , and blackberries that are still ripe in late september in that country. I made a lot of pies for folks who let me hunt on their place. The sad thing is the fruit trees made it in many of the areas where the immigrant settlers could not make it. Lot of the suit trees are on what is now public land, but around where the first settlers tried to make a go of it.

Those local pear trees around my friends place did not make/bear the year . Neither did some other old time pear trees in the area. I think one late spring first killed the blooms.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Those jars of pears look amazing!
    I have a couple of late August/early September pear trees that will can exceptionally just like yours, but are pure ambrosia right from the tree. Just like a tree ripened peach, be best off eatin em in the bathtub nekkid! My pears are similarly shaped, but when nearing ripe develop a reddish tinge, do your pears ever develop that red blush? My mother also has a pear that is dead ripe right now, but it's a smaller and slightly different shaped pear than yours or mine, but delicious never the less.

I know most all pears ripen better off of the tree and in storage, but the tree I have seems to be 'the' exception. I once got in a conversation with an overly educated expert in tree fruit on a gardening forum that all but called me a flat out lier about my pears ripening on the tree. In a belittling way, that person said no pear variety would tree ripen, end of story.. I have one that will definitely turn to ambrosia right on the tree, and can beautifully as well!

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Cast Iron Woman's Pears look like Keifer to me. I have one and the Baseball hard pears look identical.
    Bought it in front of Rose's Dept store 20 years ago ( they don't do that anymore). Tree Bears heavy every year.

drakeshooter, Snareman2 and barney like this.
  9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    These never get that reddish blush on them - they stay green all the way! And no matter how long we leave 'em on the tree, they don't soften or develop much flavor until after they're picked. We let these set for 2 weeks before canning. Lost a few due to damage that caused them to rot but the rest are the best we've ever tasted I'd love to find a tree like yours, that will ripen on the tree. Heck, I'd like to get a few more trees going to put over in our facing field AND out at the farm! We've tried starting some from seed but never had any luck. Everything from just planting the seeds to burying entire pears.....

barney likes this.
  10. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    If they are, let them sit a couple weeks & they'll soften up and be delicious!

barney likes this.
  11. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Hint. You know those apple/peeler/corer contraptions? They work GREAT on hard pears! Just take the slicing blade off & start spinning 'em! You can peel & core one completely in under 10 seconds. (They don't work at all once they get soft though. The cores tear right out.)

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Brunch is served but too hot to eat, unfortunately. More potatoes with peels on them, thick bacon and onions fried into the cracked peppered mix. Dropped to 92lbs, somehow, even though pigging out of late.

Salvaged my porkchop via layering all with the grilled apples and pears, tossing some blueberries atop all for a nice touch and reheating in 375 within the oven. Great flavor but the porkchops simply weren't my preferred cut for grilling.

Made my grilled cheese with a hamburger bun yesterday. Was out of bread. Surprisingly, that was good. Thanks Barney. Might make some yeastless bread today, for it all.

barney and Winchester94 like this.
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    "Oink Oink Oink... more pound cake with toppings washed down with chocolate milk... oink oink oink", said Princess Piglet.

14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    3085A23A-F935-47D4-8342-C0422EC454C4.jpeg
    thick shake n bake boneless chops, fried cabbage, pickled corn, garlic n butter rice and crescent rolls

Feedman, Nock, bondhu and 5 others like this.
  15. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Steaks look great. What kinda corn is that u made the bread with?

Luther's Feist likes this.