barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The peppers are stuffed with ground beef and rice, seasoned with onion, garlic, worcestershire sauce, black pepper and a little Italian seasoning. The maters were sauced and in the bottom of the pan. I spooned some over the tops just before they were done, and some added to the top as they were served. The other 2 slicing maters were served with the meal as a side.

Snareman2, CRFmxracer and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The cheese was Kraft, sharp white American.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  3. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Curklins it's in Big Stone Gap, VA.

CRFmxracer and barney like this.
  4. I’m guessing Cornish game hen.

luvtohunt and barney like this.
  5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    @drakeshooter got it right. Cornish game hens.

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  6. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Smoked turkey breast from my spring bird along with corn relish from my garden.

Working on pepper jellies and no time for fancy dining...

20210906_150819_copy_747x1600.jpg

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Couple of chuck steaks in the old 14" skillet.
    [​IMG]
    Browned a little on both sides.
    [​IMG]
    Then smothered with onion, maters, peppers, and garlic; seasoned with worcestershire, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and fresh basil leaves. Into the oven for a couple of hours.
    [​IMG]
    Out of the oven.
    [​IMG]
    Whilst the steaks were roasting I milled and sifted a scant mess of just mature Bloody Butcher corn for fresh bread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fresh gritted cornbread is one of those things that is hard to describe just how heavenly it is. This time of year, my grandpa ate it for breakfast, dinner and supper, then he had some in milk before bed.
    [​IMG]

8. Loomis1228

Loomis1228 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    Just perfection. I love your traditional nature and I always take away some knowledge after each of your cooks. Thanks for sharing!

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, and thank you for the kind words!

Tankt likes this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    A little different one for breakfast at supper.
    Wifey did this not me, I was in the Hayfield.
    Bacon, Eggs, Hash Browns, Mater and Biscuit on the side with Wild Sandhill Plums from Oklahoma. These plums grow wild in a limited area on a thorny type bush and they are great.

[​IMG]
    A big "Thank you" to my Wife!

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Wives gotta show their ass on occasion. Congrats for earning it, you ol dawg

12. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I'm going to fry up a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast, at some point before noon. All your fault, Sir.

Review on my grilled chicken concoction, excellent. I lightly coated it in salt for brine, adding the honey glaze at the end of grilling. Very tender and juicy (bone in thighs with skin). I double grilled it late last night, adding even more glaze and finally ate a piece by itself, because my stuffed apples and pears were continuing to grill. Awakened at 3am and removed them. It was difficult to refrain from eating one then, but I managed to avoid the early morning sugar rush. The pork chops are just okay by themselves. Will be tinkering with them later within the day.

Winchester94 and barney like this.
  13. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    A couple weeks ago, we picked our August pear tree. No idea what kind they are - just know they're ready to pick in August while the other tree isn't ready til October.

[​IMG]

Didn't get a whole lot off this tree. Just a couple 5-gallon buckets full this year. Still plenty though & we left a lot of small and gnarley ones on it for the critters.

[​IMG]

Pears don't ripen on the tree - they ripen after picking. So, after 2 weeks of sitting in the kitchen (and occasionally being stolen by both the dogs who think pears are tasty play balls), they were ready to be worked up.

[​IMG]

They'd gotten too soft to use our apple/peeler/corer (with the slicing blade removed) on them. The cores just ripped out. So I hand peeled (ugh!!!!) while my husband sliced. Once we got 'em peeled, cored & cut, I made up a light syrup, started putting them in jars, topping off with the syrup, cleaning rims, adding lids & rings, and putting them in the canners.

Took us about 6 hours to get them all done but the result was soooo worth it. These are by far the prettiest pears I've ever canned!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Used some real antiques to fix lunch yesterday.... We hauled out a couple of my old cast iron waffle irons.

The fleur de lis one dates back to at least the 1860s (and perhaps earlier). Looks good for a 150+ year old kitchen gadget! It was completely covered in rust when I found it & just about wore my fingers out cleaning and restoring it. Its a style known as a "flop" iron and was made to be used on the open "eyes" of old wood or coal stoves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Griswold has a patent mark of 1908 and the last were made in the 1930s.

[​IMG]

They both make some mighty fine waffles!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p.s. Does anyone else like peanut butter on their waffles? Along with syrup (maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels in this case) of course!

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Those are some cool pieces. Great find!

I still have plenty of apples and peaches upon the trees, and the critters are thankful. I let them have almost all of the blackberries this year, simply because I did not have much time to pick any of them. My thought was that I would have more songbirds next year, for it all, but these evil hawks have other thoughts about such.

barney likes this.