barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Hauled the old fry pot inside this weekend and determined that the "heat minder" burner on the old stove actually works. You pretty much set the burner at the temp you want the pot to be & lit it monitor itself! Sure wish stoves today had that feature!

ANYWAY... we pulled some bluegill fillets out of the freezer & fried them up along with some of Tim Farmer's hushpuppies and made some cole slaw & fruit salad to go along with 'em. One of the best meals we've had this winter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feedman, Bee, Nock and 10 others like this.
  2. Looks killer! Did you see Tim Farmer & wife’s double secret coleslaw recipe on FB this morning?

CRFmxracer likes this.
  3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I saw that on the show & thought about trying it but we're awful fond of the version I make using mix from the Amish/Mennonite bulk food stores.

[​IMG]

Feedman, Dark Cloud, barney and 3 others like this.
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    That is almost the same as the "Famous Recipie Chikin house"
    I had a friend that owned one that gave use the recipie.

@Lady Hunter who is that Skinny old guy???
    He can't Possibly live with You....too skinny for all that good cookin.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Yep, that's my better half, my partner-in-crime, my huntin' buddy, and much-loved man of my life for the past 35 years & counting!

ROFL! He'd love hearing someone call him skinny! He's been tryin' to lose weight & get back to where he was when he was refereeing soccer & running his legs off for 10-20 games a week. Gotta say, it's a lot easier to buy clothes for him now though - they don't make a lot of stuff for 6'4" super skinny fellas!

Feedman, Bee, Nock and 2 others like this.
  6. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks delicious! I always have trouble with the hushpuppies losing their shape and consequently not cooking evenly. What's the trick?

7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I used Tim Farmer's latest hushpuppy recipe (scroll down to "Hushpuppies II" at https://www.timfarmerscountrykitchen.com/sides) and be sure to chill the batter as instructed. Then I used a large cookie dough scoop to scoop the batter into firm balls and drop the them into the hot oil. Tim suggested dipping the scoop into hot oil between each ball but we just did it every 2 or 3 and it worked fine. These were by far the best hushpuppies we've ever fixed!

8. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Spot on.

barney likes this.
  9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    9181D3AD-776A-4A46-9052-7BA731498B05.jpeg
    Had a can for lunch. No sooner than I got done with last bite I spilled the can in my lap:(

biged57, bondhu, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Good luck trying to convince Mrs @Nock you ain't been jumpin the Fence. She will give you the "Sniff Test" every day and night for 6 months....don't ask how I know....
    Jest sayin...

drakeshooter, Munson, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    barney likes this.
  12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I hate it when that happens

bondhu and barney like this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I dug my 2 matching carbon steel skillets out a couple of days ago. Once I saw them again I didn't figure they would work with Alton's fried egg method. My skillets are 8", and super thin. There's just not enough mass in these old Japan stamped skillets to finish eggs with what residual heat they would release. I tried anyway, and at 4 minutes the eggs were about half way done. Not a loss though, I turned on a burner and finished em off FAST due to the almost instant heat transfer of the thin steel.

After handling a steel skillet again for the first time in decades, I decided that I needed a couple, so I have 2 different brands on the way.

Dark Cloud, Munson and drakeshooter like this.
  14. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    My mom started frying eggs in a little steel skillet like @barney is speaking of because she said the black cast iron omes were getting too heavy.
    I fully understand "Too Heavy" now.
    Everything I own is "Too Heavy."

15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co