barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Barney, I believe that ought to be agin the Law.
    Those maters look great too.

claynut69, Munson, jblack1 and 4 others like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Probably was agin the law. Wife remained silent through the whole meal!:)

bondhu, jblack1, JR in KY and 3 others like this.
  3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Some fine looking meals.

jblack1, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Now Im hungry again after seeing Barneys burgers

Nock, barney, jblack1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Man looks killer everybody. I don’t normally care for ‘mater on a hot sandwich like a burger but I believe I’d make an exception for those!

I fried a few small pieces of smoked jowl to render some fat to fry up some red taters skins left on. The little bit of thick cut jowl made the perfect amount of fat to fry up and season the taters. I tried Gordon Ramsay’s method for perfect light scrambled eggs over toast and feel like they were some of the best I’ve ever made, light and fluffy. Pinch of kosher salt and a grind or 10 of JR’s black pepper along with a few grates of fresh parm on the taters and it was nearly perfect, forgot the red pepper flakes.

[​IMG]

bondhu, Snareman2, Nock and 10 others like this.
  6. Loomis1228

Loomis1228 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    Fried some bacon, made gravy from the bacon grease, toast, and scrambled eggs. Pup sneaked in to see what he was getting a bite of. upload_2021-2-20_9-39-14.jpeg

bondhu, Snareman2, JR in KY and 6 others like this.
  7. I was missing the gravy loomis but was hungry, lazy and didn’t feel like stirring up a proper roux ha. Looks killer!

Loomis1228 and barney like this.
  8. If you’ve got 4 minutes to spare and can stand his voice this video is life changing. Killer scrambled eggs. Took a little bit but tasted nothing like the overcooked McDonald’s looking, milk added stuff I’ve made all my life. Light, creamy, velvety and as he over pronounces in a thick English accent, “Fluh-feee”.

bondhu, CRFmxracer and barney like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The meals look great guys! I'd probably shrivel up to nothing and blow away if weren't for bacon grease!

I like grits in the winter, and the colder it gets the more I crave em. I've been cooking some for the past week or so for breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    We've been having Grandma's eggs for the past few mornings too. Dang, I'd forgotten what I was missing! My wife had never had eggs this way before and she loves em as well.
    I have a couple carbon steel skillets I'm going to dig out and clean up to try the Alton Brown egg method DS posted. I may do that today!
    Carrying on with the breakfast theme:
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Snareman2, Nock and 5 others like this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks! I was fixin' to ask.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Yours posted above looks way better than his.

drakeshooter, barney and Loomis1228 like this.
  12. I appreciate you saying so but I’d hate to butt heads with Gordon lol. The reason I follow he and Bobby Flay and Alton Brown so much is they’re self made men from humble beginnings and all 3 can cook. Reason I have so many of our own Barney’s lessons bookmarked.

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I sincerely appreciate the kind words.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    My wife and I used the last 2 maters from the jar I opened yesterday for BLTs today.
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Snareman2, JR in KY and 4 others like this.
  15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Wife made BLT’s today on my camp stove , good eating ,but with them ole store bought tomatoes

Feedman and barney like this.