barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Converted a few quarts of tomatoes we canned last summer into pizza sauce for future endeavours....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Oh and I pulled up a jar of canned venison, used the broth & some red wine & flour to make a gravy, stirred in some canned veggies & the venison, and topped it off with leftover mashed potatoes so we could have venison shepherd's pies for lunch today! (I'm getting good at coming up with things to make in those little cast iron dishes!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snareman2, Nock, drakeshooter and 6 others like this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That pie looks awesome!

drakeshooter likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I love sweet taters

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Those looked awesome

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well I felt like steak tonight. Did not have a grill or griddle so in the big skillet with some onions Screenshot_20210218-182130_Gallery.jpg

Snareman2, jblack1, Nock and 5 others like this.
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well all the tall about peas made me open up some black eyed peas. Screenshot_20210218-182147_Gallery.jpg

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'd hit that HARD!

9. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    ="drakeshooter, post: 2038029112, member: 2236"]I believe I read Barney say he was using a different recipe these days BUT his old recipe has served me well now for over 2 years. It’s the 12th post down complete with pictures dated October 14, 2018. Here’s the link or it’s on page 37 of this thread.

https://www.kentuckyhunting.net/threads/barneys-cheap-eatin-thread.159265/page-37[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!
    I did change. I've been using all purpose flour for the last couple of years and chilling the flour/butter mix before adding the buttermilk. Makes a big difference in height of the biscuits!
    2 cups of all purpose flour (really been liking Gold Medal)
    1 tsp salt
    3 tsp baking powder
    3/4 stick of butter
    3/4 cup or a little more buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients then grate the cold butter in. Stick it in the freezer for 30 or so minutes. I've been making it the evening before and leaving it overnight lately.

When the flour butter mix is cold add very cold buttermilk and mix just until the dough comes together don't over mix. Dump the dough on to a floured surface and flatten it down to about 3/4" then fold it in half over its self and flatten it down again. Do this 5 or 6 times. The last time flatten the dough to 1/2" and cut the biscuits. You should still be able to see flakes of cold butter in the dough. Place the cut biscuits in a skillet and straight into a preheated 450° oven for about 16 minutes. Most times I brush the tops with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.[/QUOTE]
    @barney the biscuits are exceptional, thanks for sharing!

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!
    I did change. I've been using all purpose flour for the last couple of years and chilling the flour/butter mix before adding the buttermilk. Makes a big difference in height of the biscuits!
    2 cups of all purpose flour (really been liking Gold Medal)
    1 tsp salt
    3 tsp baking powder
    3/4 stick of butter
    3/4 cup or a little more buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients then grate the cold butter in. Stick it in the freezer for 30 or so minutes. I've been making it the evening before and leaving it overnight lately.

When the flour butter mix is cold add very cold buttermilk and mix just until the dough comes together don't over mix. Dump the dough on to a floured surface and flatten it down to about 3/4" then fold it in half over its self and flatten it down again. Do this 5 or 6 times. The last time flatten the dough to 1/2" and cut the biscuits. You should still be able to see flakes of cold butter in the dough. Place the cut biscuits in a skillet and straight into a preheated 450° oven for about 16 minutes. Most times I brush the tops with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.[/QUOTE]
    @barney the biscuits are exceptional, thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]
    You're very welcome!
    We had some this morning.

web splitter likes this.
  11. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Cream of tar tar will give you more rise in biscuits also, just throw a tablespoon in the mix.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I started buying baking powder in bulk from a Mennonite store a couple of years ago. Amazing stuff! Probably has more cream of tartar in the mix. Half the price or less of a can of baking powder from the grocery to boot!

drakeshooter likes this.
  13. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    [​IMG]

My buddy up the road a piece @luvtohunt and I traded Jars back a few months ago....he gave a couple jars of Deer Meat he had canned. Pressure cooked I think.
    I am bad for Saving stuff that i really like but i opened a jar of it today and it was REALLY Good. Throw in some green beans and mashed taters and it was a good supper. Thanks Tim, and that other jar is gonna be opened very soon. And @drakeshooter for bringing the Pepper. Yeah, I'm barefooted...got my feet wet.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    God, that looks delicious!

jblack1 and drakeshooter like this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Grabbed a half gallon jar of roma maters from the cellar today. They were canned last August 9th, in their prime, and are an absolute, and much needed ray of SUNSHINE in a jar for a day like this!
    [​IMG]
    Thawed, thinly patted out, and seasoned some ground brisket patties then threw em on the griddle for double cheeseburgers.
    [​IMG]
    Served em up on toasted sourdough buns with some Kennebec wedges pan fried in bacon grease!
    [​IMG]
    Turned out to be one of them burgers you don't EVER forget!
    [​IMG]