barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. My mama worked full time just like daddy, wasn’t a lot of thought or prep went into meals I’m afraid. You could eat what she put out or fix yourself a bologna sammich ha. I learned to cook young.

Feedman and barney like this.
  2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Exactly
    ###

View attachment 86281
    Doing a little cooking with the Dutch ovens while the power is out the last few days. Might as well put those hot coals to good use

Very cool looking oven, Goofy Loomis. Never tried one, myself. Will have to check into those.

I will eat breakfast any time of day, other than early within a day. Never have been able to eat until many hours after awakening, just like my late mother. Still can't eat much of anything right now, though. I did have a grilled cheese at my friends restaurant today while out, but that is all I have had today, other than four peanut M&Ms (those took much effort).

I completely disagree, considering the body to be a temple. Being that you are so very knowledgable as well as a fantastic chef, I desire your input regarding a discussion that I had with the sexy oral surgeon today. We ended up chatting about a wide variety of things, and somewhere within all, we ended up on beans, of all things. Pretty sure he had cracked a joke, can't recall, being that I was not feeling well, lol. Chilli came up, of course, being that he is from Texas and loves beans.

I expressed my preference for peas over beans, learning that we both share a love for black-eyed peas and mixing them into our mashed potatoes like retards, lol. He then asked if I had ever had purple hulled peas. Nope, not that I could recall, I relayed.

He began telling me how very good they happen to be, elaborating that he grows them. I told him that I would look them up tonight. They do look and sound absolutely delicious, but I saw many different kinds of them.

I told him that I had been trying to learn a bit about vegetable gardening from a bunch of hunters (as well as hunting, of course) on a hunting forum, and my mind immediately went to you. I decided then and there that I would make further inquiry from you about purple hulled peas.

3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    My mom worked full time..2nd shift. I learned to cook and fend for myself at an early age. I never got ask..'what do you want for supper tonight?' Food was made..you ate it..or you made something yourself.

4. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    You got a brother here! Leave that scours chit off my plate!! Little brown tinge is only proper way to eat eggs. These damn cavemen dwellers eating raw food is mysterious.

5. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    I usually cooked it like momma or mama though. A few hungry nights is all it took to get interested in cooking.

Dark Cloud, barney and dirtstalker like this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’m definitely not picky. My wife had a grandfather, I swear he ate eggs about raw. I can eat various ways but they need to be cooked! My favorite is over medium. I actually like to flip and get the yolk semi-runny or semi-hard depending on how you look at it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    barney likes this.
  7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I bet mine had yours beat! Only temp she knew was as high as the stove/oven could be turned up & the only seasoning she used was garlic salt. Everything was cooked to shoe leather and so salty you literally had to scrape the salt rind off of it. And we're not gonna talk about all the times she'd serve up stuff with meal worms still wiggling in it! It was a relief when I turned 16 and she walked out of the kitchen one day & informed us that if Dad & I wanted to eat, I'd have to do it! Dad & I got us a cookbook & we ate pretty darned good from there on out!

8. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    When in college we had a food plan and it was all you could eat. They had soft boiled eggs every day. I would eat 6 on toast to start my day. Still love them.

9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I don’t eat them raw by there self but will sure wear out some cake/brownie batter with them in it.

Dark Cloud, xbokilla, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Feller i work with is a big into fitness / body building. Said at one time he was on a 36 egg a day diet. Was eating/drinking them all raw.

barney likes this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never grown cowpeas even once. My daddy told me my grandpa used to grow quite a few black eyed peas every summer for the family's winter use.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Thank you very much. I have tried to recall if perhaps I may had been mistaken and snapped some with my great grandmother, being that we snapped plenty of green beans and pole beans together in preparation of dinners over the years during my childhood and beyond, but no memories of purple hulls as of yet. I have only briefly read about them, thus far. It is written that they are much creamier peas than black eyed peas, which sounds extremely appealing to me, and known to be a Southern delight. I simply cannot remember having prepared nor eaten any of them, oddly enough. I shall have to make further inquiry of him, once his schedule slows down after the storms (had no idea he did more extensive types of surgeries). I had tried to recall the name of those huge beans in which you had recently prepared and looked so very good, in order to relay those to him (being that he grows beans, as well) but unfortunately failed (surely due to not feeling well). Will be sure to research them for later discourse and potential seed purchase.

barney likes this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Yep. Back in my college days worked out at a little gym and some guys there were like competitive body builders. They’d do some of this stuff. Seems like one guy would do a 30 a day raw egg thing.

barney likes this.
  14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Eggs are the most used food item in our home. We usually eat about 6 per day for breakfast and that doesn’t count if we use them to cook other things or in other recipes. On a normal workday, I get up, scramble 6 eggs, cook 6 slices of bacon, for myself, wife, and little girl. My little girl is an egg eating machine! My wife will make a big egg casserole once or twice a month that we’ll eat on for a couple breakfast days.

Nock and barney like this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The music fruit is absolutely prime after a few months of storage. Sweet, custardy syrupy deliciousness. A little cow butter makes em a meal!
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Snareman2, Feedman and 4 others like this.