barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    That’s what I done with those chops other day.
    On the eggs I prefer over easy. I like to trim around the yoke and eat it last in one bite. But I’ll eat them however as well.

bondhu, barney, Feedman and 1 other person like this.
  2. My grandma fried an egg til it was about done. Cooked her pork and beef to past well done. I get it though, she grew up in a time when you got sick from food you often died. So yeah I can basically eat stuff how it’s put on the table to me. We weren’t raised to be particular lol.

Nock, JR in KY, bondhu and 4 others like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Can in today an thought that a couple of hen berries on toast would be good. Screenshot_20210217-114553_Gallery.jpg

Snareman2, slobear, Nock and 3 others like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I like my eggs perfectly over easy, whites just set and the yolk warm.

Grandma cracked eggs in a hot skillet with probably 1/4" of grease. She would then tip the skillet slightly and dip or splash the hot grease over the eggs with a spoon until the whites were set and yolks still runny. The eggs always had a brown fringe around the outside but were perfect (for me) in the middle. Grandma had her favorite egg skillet too. It was an old carbon steel skillet that was thin and light weight. She would adjust the temperature when frying eggs by lifting the skillet above the flame. She would also carry the skillet to the table and slide the hot eggs straight to your plate. I've not fried any eggs that way in years I need to again for old times sake.

Snareman2, Bee, claynut69 and 8 others like this.
  5. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    matter of fact this is Kroger brand and it is better than I remember. Havent had shakin bake since first wife.... shhhhh dont tell second :D

jblack1, Loomis1228 and barney like this.
  6. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I love shake and bake chops too...thought I would be the only one.

bondhu, jblack1 and barney like this.
  7. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    Sounds like grandma knew how to cook the perfect fried egg. Most folks I know can't cook a fried egg to save their life.
    I prefer "soft boiled" eggs over hard-boiled which are tricky but when done correctly are amazing in my opinion

barney, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    5791_resize_41.jpg 5814_resize_78.jpg 5806_resize_91.jpg 5804_resize_91.jpg
    Doing a little cooking with the Dutch ovens while the power is out the last few days. Might as well put those hot coals to good use

Snareman2, Nock, barney and 7 others like this.
  9. Loomis1228

Loomis1228 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    Would you give this a try?

CRFmxracer and barney like this.
  10. Me too man, almost a custardy texture.

Alton Brown has an interesting method for the perfect fried egg and he uses carbon steel too.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-final-fried-eggs-reloaded-8581939

I cook mine in a non-stick pan with a touch of bacon grease sunny side up covered with a lid until yolks just start to glaze over white, similar to Alton, maybe 2 minutes.

barney, bondhu and web splitter like this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    What about that! Alton's eggs are fringy and mostly identical to the ones I grew up on, he just got there a little differently.

When I was still a teenager I noticed that Grandma's egg skillet was missing one day. I didn't think much about it at the time, and I didn't even ask her about it. I thought maybe she had just thrown it away. Not a big deal to me at the time. Probably 10 years later I was visiting an aunt who I didn't see very often because of distance, and I saw that old skillet cleaned up and proudly displayed in her kitchen among some other keepsakes. Seeing that the skillet held a special place with her I didn't ask then either, I wish I had, because all is lost now.

Snareman2, JR in KY, bondhu and 3 others like this.
  12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    It was a week ago tonight that I put on a big crockpot of venison chili. Just fired up another crockpot for the next round of winter weather.

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I sure will. I've never seen an egg scrambled like that.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. Loomis1228

Loomis1228 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    Me either. Nor have I seen eggs and fried
    Shrimp Chinese food.

barney likes this.
  15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Mom was a terrible cook and i grew up scrawny (till i learned to cook.) Overcooked the hell out of everything.