barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The very best flavored, and textured cornbread I have ever had neither had eggs, nor oil in the mix. The bread simply consisted of semi dry Hickory King corn picked, ground, and sifted by my grandfather, then baked by my grandmother that day. The recipe was cornmeal, salt, baking powder and "sour milk", Grandma's name for the homemade buttermilk she always kept. The batter was mixed and instantly poured into an extremely hot and smoking well greased cast iron skillet, and baked until the top was lightly browned. That bread was one of the most amazing things ever. Corny, crispy, and tangy, with a moist flavorful center that was a course of the meal on its own.

Snareman2, Dark Cloud, rcb216 and 4 others like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, but, no.

I do have a great youngest son who has shown an interest in food, and has taken the first steps in that direction.

3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

Interesting. Something basic that I became accustomed to down in Jamaica were called johnny cakes; although, they are not cakes, at all. My favorite, though, is called Hardo Bread (hard dough). It is simply delicious with either just butter, peanut butter, or especially with guava jelly. It can now be acquired up here in specialty stores. Although I did learn how to prepare johnny cakes, and they are quite simple, I have never been taught how to make the latter but would love to learn, simply because it is delicious and extremely filling.

Lol, cannot say that I would have interest, either. I simply do not possess a passion for it and consider all nothing more than a necessary task. I am thankful to have had excellent teachers, though, as I am sure your offspring is, as well.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Just researched it for the first time seeing 1.5 to 2.5 hours. Spied this moments ago, taking a wild guess it's the real deal (looks to be, have yet to watch it).

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    It's cold, wet & just plain MISERABLE today so I had to come up with a good warm lunch... And couldn't resist playing with some more of my cast iron while I was at it. Home-canned venison stew & cornbread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ***REALLY*** like the way the wedges came out. I'd gotten a Lodge wedge pan a couple of years ago & nothing cooked right in it. Everything stuck no matter who much oil (or what kind) I used. I found this old Birmingham Stove & Range piece at an antique mall & decided to try it. Cornbread, brownies, whatever pop out beautifully with just a spritz of Pam to oil the pan. The Lodge pan is going out in our next yard sale!!!!
    [​IMG]

Not bad for a little heart pan I won at an auction for $7. It had never even been seasoned, much less used.
    [​IMG]

One of the first cast iron pieces I bought. It was covered in rust, sitting in a local what not store for $5. I brought it home & started researching how to clean it. Several hundred restored pieces later, I still use my first one for baking up extra batter.
    [​IMG]

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    SO fitting. Looks great!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Man,
    Now I'm really wanting some cornbread LH.
    Looks great

barney and jblack1 like this.
  8. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I tried it today and it worked! Thanks for the info. The bread was very much better, thank you!

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The Christmas ham my son was gifted at work. He gifted it to us. The freeze by date was fast approaching so it had to be et on.
    [​IMG]
    Made a batch of tater salad, some rolls, and opened a couple of jars of green beans. Even had a half dozen leftover deviled eggs to go along with it. The ham was awfully good, and eatin is gonna be real cheap for the next few days!
    [​IMG]

Feedman, JR in KY, jblack1 and 7 others like this.
  10. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    That looks amazing! We just ate lunch & you've done made me hungry again already! lol!

Question for ya, have you ever tried Arkansas green beans? My daughter made them for Christmas & they are just unbelievably good & give a little different option from ye olde green bean casserole for special events....

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/199983/arkansas-green-beans/

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never tried or made those beans, but you can bet I will now! My dearly departed mother in law used to add some sugar to her green beans just enough to lightly sweeten em up. My wife and I hated the things back when, but her and I both have started craving sweet green beans every now and then over the last couple of years. I'll surprise her with the Arkansas recipe before long. Thanks!

Lady Hunter likes this.
  12. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would hear someone say this ^^

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    LMAO:)^^^
    It was because of hard decisions. Nanner puddin, or deviled eggs. Puddin won every single time! I'll never make em both at the same time again!

Snareman2, Bee, drakeshooter and 4 others like this.
  14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Well he probably started with 4 dz.

drakeshooter, bondhu, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Good deal, congrats, just keep tinkering with all until it's exactly as you desire. Just exited dentist and am waiting at a drive thru for three egg rolls and fried mushrooms, myself. Will see how it goes...

JR PORTER likes this.