barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Barney you ever waterglassed any eggs to preserve them

barney likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I don't ever remember anyone around here talking about doing it, and I never have. I have read about the process several times over the years, though.

With these modern egg layers of today there's not many days in a year I don't gather eggs.

3. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I was gathering eggs daily myself but my 11 hens have all but quit in the last couple weeks. If we get an abundance this spring and summer we may give it a try

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    barney likes this.
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Wife was looking at a process that calls for pickling lime water. And storing them in a bucket. Just reach in and grab the ones off the bottom. Store them in a cool dark place. Is this the same thing? Just diff name? I have heard of not washing the eggs and oiling them and storing them also.

barney likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes.

6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    A little something more about saving bean and there heirloom seeds--this is a short piece about John Coykendal who sort of became a seed preserver spokesman many years ago. There are some PBS programs and other pieces on him that are more in depth than this short piece . Sometimes PBS is not worth a dime, this short piece is different .

Barney and some others on here are serious and dedicated seed savers. As was my Dad.. I hope the tradition can continue somehow among some younger folk.

Here is a longer piece of about an hour.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  7. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Enjoyed that first video and intend upon watching the longer one. I like elders like that man, considering them to be treasures of wisdom. I don't know a darn thing about veggie seeds but do have my father's bean seeds. I would love for some of you within the know to actually begin a thread dedicated strictly to veggie and fruit seeds, being that my focus has always been flowers and primarily bulbs, even though I do mess with specific flower seeds here and there.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That is spot-on. We're definitely in the 11th hour. So many old heirloom varieties have already been lost, and most of the ones out there are being crossed up beyond recognition by the very curators who are trying to preserve them.

Over the years, there's been no telling how many pure seed samples I've given to others, only to have them get em crossed within a couple of years. Pole beans and large fruited maters are especially notorious for crossing if strict protocol is not followed.

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  9. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’d hit those beans hard!

drakeshooter and barney like this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I like preparing and especially eating white beans and ham, green beans/pole beans with fatback, but that is really about it other than kidney beans in my chili. Every now and then I crave pork and beans, but I have just never been really hyped up over beans in general. Black-eyed peas with mashed potatoes are another story altogether, though. I could eat those every day. Regardless, that one bean soup Barney recently prepared looked more than just delicious.

JR PORTER and barney like this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    We did!
    Finished em off every last one today along with some imitation crab mac and cheese.
    [​IMG]

Munson, Snareman2, bondhu and 5 others like this.
  12. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill

I think beans taste better the next day

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Me too.

bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Oh hell. I’ve never had any crab and mac. Bet that’s killer.

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Dandy stuff! I could make a meal of it and cornbread.

Munson, drakeshooter and Nock like this.