barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Barney you’re my hero

Nock, jblack1, bowhunter269 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    The forum's hero

Nock, jblack1, bowhunter269 and 6 others like this.
  3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Im still waiting on the 'weekend at barneys' time and date...
    Im sure he could get alot of work out of some of us fellers for a few days worth of his vittles and his knowledge of things.

Munson, Dark Cloud, jblack1 and 3 others like this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Weekend at Barney’s
    C8710868-E302-47D3-9C93-CDD495484E71.jpeg

Munson, Feedman, Nock and 2 others like this.
  5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    4,099 replies on his Personal Thread.
    That says sumpin about him right there.
    I don't think the "Weekend at Barneys" will ever happen, but it would look like the Traffic Jam going to Woodstock.

Munson, Bee, Luther's Feist and 11 others like this.
  6. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Don't forget Silence of the Hams thread

rcb216, bondhu, Feedman and 6 others like this.
  7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I dont miss much when it comes to boobs

Munson, Nock, CRFmxracer and 2 others like this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Cooked up a big mess of Goose beans today. I've kept seed of this one for over 30 years. It's good as a green snap, a shelly bean when the pods turn pink, and one of the best soup beans there is!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    My family kept a bean like that until about ten years ago then it just seemed to disappear. Ordered some seed from those people in berea and although it looks same, it doesn’t taste the same. Am I wrong?

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Probably not. Seeds became a crossed up mess startin in the 90's when heirloom varieties, and Internet sharing became the rage. Then, too, some bean seeds are very similar to others in appearance only. I have 2 other varieties that the seed looks close to this Goose bean variety, but are very different in growth, pod shape and flavor.

bondhu, slobear and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Barney, do they taste like Pintos?
    And who are the folks in Berea @slobear ??
    I hope they aren't affiliated with that liberal college there?

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes, a little bit bigger, but more tender and virtually no skin at all. They make a richer thicker soup than most of the pintos I've cooked, too.

I had a buddy here sawing lumber for me with a band mill 25 years ago. I had cooked a big mess of these that day so I invited him and his son for dinner. Like most of us, my friend had had his fair share of brown beans growin up. That day my friend started asking questions about the beans. It kinda caught me off guard. I didn't tell him that the beans were grown in the garden, I just assumed he would think the beans were just regular ol' pintos, but he knew they were different from the first taste, and wanted to know more. Over the years he has brought those beans up more times than I can remember. He still, and not more than a couple of months ago says those were the best he had ever had in his life!

13. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Dead nuts.

barney likes this.
  14. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Trump town, USA
    Well, I’ve wondered the same myself. Knew a guy that dealt with them and it didn’t work out. Much like Barney he kept records year to year and patterns. Guess their was a mixup.

Actually I’ve had good results from bean varieties from them except for the one Barney describes. Tomatoes, not so much. You can find them.

barney likes this.
  15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    That swiss meringue looks like it was simply scrumptious, even though I am not a meringue fan, myself. "Nanner puddin' " has always been my father's favorite dessert. I recall the first dessert that I was ever taught to make was pound cake, in my grandmother's kitchen with her providing detailed instruction and close supervision.

She had one of those huge electric mixers of old attached to an arm and heavy base for support. That base did not rotate. I can recall how she had me add only one egg out of seven at a time, mixing each one individually for several minutes between adding the next one and constantly spinning that heavy bowl with my arms.

Just a young girl, I could not reach the countertop and was standing upon an old breakfast chair, lol. After all ingredients were finally added and mixed, I was plumb worn out, too, but watching and smelling it bake was worth all of the effort, as was the happy photograph after the fact.

TikTok is nothing more than a
    Commie Spyware bomb, don't click it

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    barney likes this.