barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've not been able to get @Lady Hunter 's soup thread out of my mind since she posted it! I've never had Pasta e Fagioli soup in my life that I can recollect, but it looked delicious, and I couldn't wait to give it a try. When I woke up to the snow this morning I knew right then it was gonna be Fagioli soup day!

I had everything on hand to make it as well. I got started by shelling some beans. I used my white cornfield bean and my Goose beans for the recipe. I put those on to cook first thing so that they would be tender when they were added to the soup.
    [​IMG]
    I then went to the garden and cut a stalk of celery, and picked some fresh spinach. I already had carrots in the cellar from those I dug a couple of days ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used some of the sausage I ground over the weekend for the meat base in the soup. The drippings leftover from browning the sausage worked nicely for sauteing the vegetables. When the veggies just started to get tender I added everything to the pot but the pasta and brought it to a slow simmer. While the soup was cooking I split a loaf of Woohoo Italian bread I had taken out of the freezer earlier and smeared each half heavily with fresh garlic butter and minced parsley.
    [​IMG]
    The Pasta e Fagioli was delicious, and will definitely be put into the soup rotation!
    [​IMG]

2. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I literally just set my fork down, open this thread and am hungry again! WTH?!??!!! :p
    Btw... that's a compliment to All posters on this thread:D:)

Nock, Luther's Feist, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  3. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Ueah I usually either look at this thread while eating or right afte . Any other time it sends me running to the kitchen

Munson and barney like this.
  4. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Barney and lady hunter should open a restaurant

5. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    ;)Ive always heard really great cooks often leave out a few key ingredients when handing out recipes to share. Now if you look really close you can see Ol Barney has big chunks of tomato floating around in that soup, but there is no description of those 'maters variety and no pictures of them pre-cook. You gotta watch these folks carefully:)

Attached Files:

Munson, JR in KY, jblack1 and 5 others like this.
  6. bondhu and barney like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    There's just one place I know of that those maters can be had and supply is always limited. The little family owned company just produces 50 or 60 half gallon jars of em each year and they are quite pricey. I do consider them one of the luxuries in life that's worth every penny though.
    [​IMG]

Munson, Dark Cloud, jblack1 and 3 others like this.
  8. THAT is what all the preparation and sweat is about right there.

Munson and barney like this.
  9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    drakeshooter and barney like this.
  10. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Dang, Barney! That puts mine to shame! My ingredients all come from the store - lol! It sure looks good though. p.s. Never knew you could grow celery in Kentucky! We might have to try that sometime because we sure go thru enough of it.....

barney likes this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Not hardly! I know that the soup you posted was every bit as delicious as it looked! Thanks again for posting the inspiration.

As far as celery gos, this was the first year I have ever tried to grow it. We use a lot of it too that's why I wanted to see what was involved in growing it. I found the main thing with celery is time. It takes the whole season to produce. The seeds were sown in March, and I started cutting mature celery in October.

Dark Cloud and Lady Hunter like this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    All of the recipes I looked at were really similar. I closely followed the one you posted, with the exception of me adding some coarse chopped spinach near the end of cooking. I think you'll love it!

Dark Cloud and drakeshooter like this.
  13. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    You've gotta add Pentail to that list!!!!!!

barney likes this.
  14. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I don’t even like tomatoes by themselves and I’m salivating

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    barney likes this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I bought me 20, walked over to my wife and told her if she wanted any better go get em.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    carnivore, Nock, Bee and 11 others like this.