barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Sounds like a good day of food and leftovers.

barney likes this.
  2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Oh my goodness

barney likes this.
  3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Holy Crap, barney that breakfast I’m pretty sure is illegal in 12 countries.

bowhunter269, barney and CRFmxracer like this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    AE1DC77D-8BFD-405F-9991-B49DB1DDE764.jpeg
    inner loins and heart dusted with treager big game & served with bourbon/butter reduction sauce.

bowhunter269, xbokilla, Nock and 5 others like this.
  5. Tankt

Tankt 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

Look delicious

bondhu and barney like this.
  6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    In spite of all my cooking, chopping up fresh potatoes & pan frying them has ALWAYS given me fits. They either aren't done enough & taste raw or they burn & taste like charcoal. I've tried & tried & tried over the years & figured it just wasn't to be. Until, I saw Barney's post with the fried taters & just had to try again. I don't know what I did different this time but they came out PERFECTLY!!!! Yay!!!!! Now I need to try fried chicken again... still haven't gotten that pinned down yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nock, Feedman, jblack1 and 8 others like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Lady Hunter, those look perfect!
    When I was growing up, my grandmother would serve a big skillet of fried taters as a one course meal several times a year. It wasn't out of necessity, it stemmed from desire. Perfectly fried taters are still one of my most craven comfort foods!

My grandmother made the best fried chicken and taters I have ever eaten! Both of them she just turned over once. She never even peeked under the lid, she just went by the smell for when it was time to flip.

TripleGee, Nock, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  8. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Lost one grandmother when I was just a kid, the other one thought cooking was "beneath her," and grew up with a mom who could burn water without even trying hard. (Honest to God, the only way I survived was thanks to ketchup - you pour enough of it on something, you can eat most anything!)

So I basically learned to cook initially thanks to cookbooks & then later youtube and sites like this. If I have numbers & times & so forth, I can generally get it done but stuff like these potatoes (and especially fried chicken) where you just have to KNOW is a lot tougher. I envy folks who grew up in cookin' families!!!

Nock, Bee, JR in KY and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Wish I'd gotten a pic before we attacked it like hungry hawgs but..... I threw together a sorta pot pie using leftover biscuits for lunch today. My husband says he'll be fixing extra biscuits from now on! A pint of canned chicken (drained), a bag of frozen veggies (thawed), a can of cream of chicken soup, and a little salt & pepper topped with leftover biscuits that were cut in half. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

[​IMG]

Nock, Feedman, Munson and 5 others like this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    It's snowing ! !

Creamy Snow Ice Cream

LAST UPDATED: Nov 30, 2020 | PUBLISHED: Dec 15, 2019 | By: Julie Blanner

How to make Snow Ice Cream that tastes as creamy and delicious as the original! This delightfully sweet treat takes just a couple minutes to make and is made with 4 ingredients you have in your kitchen!...

https://julieblanner.com/snow-ice-cream-recipe/

11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I love chicken or potatoes fried in LARD. I sometimes use bacon grease. But rarely have enough to use.

Nock, Feedman and barney like this.
  12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Looks to me like you Learnt real well.

Nock, Feedman, Munson and 2 others like this.
  13. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Lol... I prefer various omelets or scrambled eggs. I have never tried fried eggs of any other kind and strongly lack the desire. The thought of runnny egg yolk within fried eggs repulses me. I used to watch my mother prepare such for my father but never really paid much attention. Really unsure of the term, but he is quite particular about them, I learned for the first time, upon my return here. He has always been a great cook, himself, and has long made his own, but I decided to edge in upon his cooking a bit, here and there, simply to lighten his load. I learned that it was not quite as easy as he and my mother made all look, and he did not hesitate to inform me, lol. I either over or under cooked them the first few times but finally figured out the trick, making me feel like some Waffle House Queen, lol, even though I still do not know the correct term for those eggs nor care. Those things look gross, and he was always the only one within the family to eat them. Maybe it's a Kentucky thang.

As for fried potatoes, I absolutely love them and regularly prepare them. I have never cut them into little squares or shreds but leave them round with the peel, slow cooking all for 45 minutes to one hour with tons of bacon, onions, and pepper.

TripleGee likes this.
  14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

barney likes this.
  15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I can close my eyes now, and just about taste my mothers fried potatoes.

Feedman, jblack1 and barney like this.