barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Barney , please tell me about that three pronged fork laying on the paper plate in your last sardine picture.

My family drawer growing up had some of them. I remember being told they were heirlooms from way back there somewhere. Ive seen picture of many of them on eBay and they are described as civil war era forks.

Some of them had bone handles and some other ones had a little fancier lead or pewter -like inlays in the bone handles. Others had polished wood handles. Dad said some of the forks he had reworked from the ruins of family home that had burned. My dad made a foot long wooden handle for one of them for turning fried chicken etc in a big iron skillet or frying pan. I have about all those forks and traded a brother out of some he had too. I think my parents found some additional ones in an antique store way back there. I think of my mother and Dad every time I look at one of them. I use them daily for link sausage turning and other hot skillet fried food turning.

I have never researched them, but I know the are really old and maybe the civil war era label is accurate.. One has a tine that has just been worn down a half inch.

You got any idea where the ones you have may have come from --where did you get yours? Any body see seen these in old family stuff.
That's the only one I have. The 3 prong forks with the pewter inlays in bone or wood handles are civil war era. They aren't real expensive, and good ones can still be found on eBay. I plan on buying some more when the right set comes along. Russell Green River Works made a bunch of them along with matching table knives.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
I've always loved them zingers and cupcakes! I wish Hostess would put more filling in the middle, and the icin' on the top and bottom.
We used to have a Discount Grocery store in the neighborhood. Closed Now. Out of date stuff, some vegetables a little frozen meat that had never been to a store, just frozen from the wholesaler.
He had candy bars and cakes for a Quarter. I would check regularly and I bought every Yeller Zinger I could get my hands on. Its hard to pay $1.79 after getting them for a Quarter for years.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Here it goes folks. Got home and went for the sardines! Started with the tin of Wild planet (setting the baseline). Opening the lid brought small disappointment. They definitely weren’t as picturesque as others but we’re focused on taste right? I did enjoy them, they have a simple, clean fresh taste. I thought to myself I need Something to compare these to and went for the biggest wildcard of them all, The crazy Chinese or Japanese labeled sardines I got from the Asian market. I knew there was a great risk of vomiting but Proceeded to open the tin.... and that’s when my world got turned upside down. Folks I must say I have eaten the most delicious sardines in my personal experience right here tonight and pretty sure it’s ruined the rest of the contenders if we go outside of the basic olive oil Category. These were a sweet soy sauce base and melted like butter in my mouth.

I will still go on to compare the more common sardines that are available at most grocery stores but the next time I am in Lexington I’m gonna buy them out.

FECE2275-58EB-4EB5-9D5C-77954F6550AB.jpeg
089202CE-1EA0-423C-8283-F7B99111FAC9.jpeg
74B017C0-22C5-4EF9-BA32-CCC22CD470B0.jpeg

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
We used to have a Discount Grocery store in the neighborhood. Closed Now. Out of date stuff, some vegetables a little frozen meat that had never been to a store, just frozen from the wholesaler.
He had candy bars and cakes for a Quarter. I would check regularly and I bought every Yeller Zinger I could get my hands on. Its hard to pay $1.79 after getting them for a Quarter for years.
Back in the day we had a discount store that always had full boxes of the BIG Kern's honey buns. I think they came packed a dozen to the box for a $1. I'd put a couple pats of butter on 2 of those every morning before work and microwave for a minute or so... Lordy, I think I gained a couple of pounds just thinking about those days!

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Here it goes folks. Got home and went for the sardines! Started with the tin of Wild planet (setting the baseline). Opening the lid brought small disappointment. They definitely weren’t as picturesque as others but we’re focused on taste right? I did enjoy them, they have a simple, clean fresh taste. I thought to myself I need Something to compare these to and went for the biggest wildcard of them all, The crazy Chinese or Japanese labeled sardines I got from the Asian market. I knew there was a great risk of vomiting but Proceeded to open the tin.... and that’s when my world got turned upside down. Folks I must say I have eaten the most delicious sardines in my personal experience right here tonight and pretty sure it’s ruined the rest of the contenders if we go outside of the basic olive oil Category. These were a sweet soy sauce base and melted like butter in my mouth.

I will still go on to compare the more common sardines that are available at most grocery stores but the next time I am in Lexington I’m gonna buy them out.

View attachment 74635 View attachment 74636 View attachment 74637
Gotta say, and I've eat alot of the Wild Planet sardines, you got the ugly ducklings of the bunch haha. Not that it much matters

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005

View attachment 74635 View attachment 74636 View attachment 74637
They sure look good!

Luther's Feist

10 pointer
Oct 25, 2014
Coeburn, Va
Well yall got me in a sardine kick bad. Went to walmart to try the ones Barney ranked a 9 but they didn't have any great value brand Had several brands and I was wanting the wild planet ones but found a discounted one for yet $0.50 again. Got two cans to try. They weren't near as good as the wild planet ones and weren't as appealing(still had fins on em and bones were all little tuff) I will say for the price I am gonna go back and get the 8 or so cans they had left.
20200114_212623.jpg
image-2020-01-14-21-37-51.jpg

Luther's Feist

10 pointer
Oct 25, 2014
Coeburn, Va
Well yall got me in a sardine kick bad. Went to walmart to try the ones Barney ranked a 9 but they didn't have any great value brand Had several brands and I was wanting the wild planet ones but found a discounted one for yet $0.50 again. Got two cans to try. They weren't near as good as the wild planet ones and weren't as appealing(still had fins on em and bones were all little tuff) I will say for the price I am gonna go back and get the 8 or so cans they had left. View attachment 74638 View attachment 74639

On second thought after reading the warning on the bottom of the can I may just leave em on the shelf at walmart.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Well yall got me in a sardine kick bad. Went to walmart to try the ones Barney ranked a 9 but they didn't have any great value brand Had several brands and I was wanting the wild planet ones but found a discounted one for yet $0.50 again. Got two cans to try. They weren't near as good as the wild planet ones and weren't as appealing(still had fins on em and bones were all little tuff) I will say for the price I am gonna go back and get the 8 or so cans they had left. View attachment 74638 View attachment 74639
Those look like the fish in the Portside brand from Save a Lot, they were from China to. I didn't mention it, but there was something about the oil they used. It was more like differential fluid.