barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's the only one I have. The 3 prong forks with the pewter inlays in bone or wood handles are civil war era. They aren't real expensive, and good ones can still be found on eBay. I plan on buying some more when the right set comes along. Russell Green River Works made a bunch of them along with matching table knives.

Dark Cloud and Bee like this.
  2. I’ll have to try these .88 cent ones, but I’ll have to convince myself to break my vow to never go back unless Walmart is the only option.

barney likes this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've always loved them zingers and cupcakes! I wish Hostess would put more filling in the middle, and the icin' on the top and bottom.

Feedman and drakeshooter like this.
  4. I had them all in the cstore biz and for the $ I liked the Mrs Freshley’s about as well as any but the old school hostess zingers were hard to beat.

rabbit dawg and barney like this.
  5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    We used to have a Discount Grocery store in the neighborhood. Closed Now. Out of date stuff, some vegetables a little frozen meat that had never been to a store, just frozen from the wholesaler.
    He had candy bars and cakes for a Quarter. I would check regularly and I bought every Yeller Zinger I could get my hands on. Its hard to pay $1.79 after getting them for a Quarter for years.

drakeshooter, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Here it goes folks. Got home and went for the sardines! Started with the tin of Wild planet (setting the baseline). Opening the lid brought small disappointment. They definitely weren’t as picturesque as others but we’re focused on taste right? I did enjoy them, they have a simple, clean fresh taste. I thought to myself I need Something to compare these to and went for the biggest wildcard of them all, The crazy Chinese or Japanese labeled sardines I got from the Asian market. I knew there was a great risk of vomiting but Proceeded to open the tin.... and that’s when my world got turned upside down. Folks I must say I have eaten the most delicious sardines in my personal experience right here tonight and pretty sure it’s ruined the rest of the contenders if we go outside of the basic olive oil Category. These were a sweet soy sauce base and melted like butter in my mouth.

I will still go on to compare the more common sardines that are available at most grocery stores but the next time I am in Lexington I’m gonna buy them out.

FECE2275-58EB-4EB5-9D5C-77954F6550AB.jpeg 089202CE-1EA0-423C-8283-F7B99111FAC9.jpeg 74B017C0-22C5-4EF9-BA32-CCC22CD470B0.jpeg

bondhu, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Back in the day we had a discount store that always had full boxes of the BIG Kern's honey buns. I think they came packed a dozen to the box for a $1. I'd put a couple pats of butter on 2 of those every morning before work and microwave for a minute or so... Lordy, I think I gained a couple of pounds just thinking about those days!

Feedman and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Gotta say, and I've eat alot of the Wild Planet sardines, you got the ugly ducklings of the bunch haha. Not that it much matters

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    They sure look good!

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Of the 4 or 5 cans of Wild Planet sardines I've ate over the last few weeks, all have been delicious, but it's been a crapshoot on what they look like in the can.

11. I’d order those Asian ones online but I wouldn’t know where to begin lol, not an English word on that can I can see.

12. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Well yall got me in a sardine kick bad. Went to walmart to try the ones Barney ranked a 9 but they didn't have any great value brand Had several brands and I was wanting the wild planet ones but found a discounted one for yet $0.50 again. Got two cans to try. They weren't near as good as the wild planet ones and weren't as appealing(still had fins on em and bones were all little tuff) I will say for the price I am gonna go back and get the 8 or so cans they had left. 20200114_212623.jpg image-2020-01-14-21-37-51.jpg

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  13. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    On second thought after reading the warning on the bottom of the can I may just leave em on the shelf at walmart.

JR in KY, beauhunter41031 and barney like this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Those look like the fish in the Portside brand from Save a Lot, they were from China to. I didn't mention it, but there was something about the oil they used. It was more like differential fluid.

JR in KY and drakeshooter like this.