barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's hard to believe.. Lordy, I don't think I can recall anyone who didn't love the stuff!

bondhu, dirtstalker and Lady Hunter like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Looks delicious

barney likes this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!
    In the beginning no one in my family
    cared for cooked or fried turnips, but now everyone is starting to eat them. I grew up on turnips and crave the things pretty often through the winter months. Especially when well seasoned with bacon grease!

4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I work with a guy that boils and mashes them like taters. Then spices them up a little with cayenne pepper. Puts cheese on them and bakes in over until cheese crusts over.
    He loves them. Id rather eat canned cat food lol.

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Well if you put nuff cayenne pepper in there, you can kill the turnip taste.
    Cat food for me too.

drakeshooter, dirtstalker and barney like this.
  6. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I love me some turnips bout anyway I can get em but now the mac and maters I will pass. Never did care for noodles but will eat em in spaghetti now and then

barney likes this.
  7. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    That's crazy how people like different foods. Love rawr turnips,raw cabbage with salt, tomatoes and roni with cornbread. But heck to the no for okra or sardines, no black olives

barney likes this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    When I was just a little feller, I once remember my grandmother telling someone: "there ain't much I won't eat, if it's fixed right, or if I'm hungry enough"

Through the years I've absolutely found that truth to be self-evident, especially through raising my children and babysitting my grand children. If only I were more loquacious, the stories I could tell.

HCDH66, drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  9. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    You know barney, there is alot of truth to what your grandmother said. There are certain foods i dont care for. I will try any foods a few times before i make a real decision on them. But, i can guarantee ya that if it comes down to starvin, or eating foods i do not like, i will chow down on whatever i can find. Im trying my best to not let my 2 boys be picky eaters. I know so many people now that survive on chicken nuggets,pizza etc that its crazy.
    My woman is somewhat of a picky eater, but i let her know from the get go, that the boys were to be allowed to eat whatever and make their own decision. So far, so good.

1wildcatfan, barney and JR in KY like this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's what to do. I think the most important part of stopping a picky eater is having both parents on the same page.

drakeshooter and dirtstalker like this.
  11. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    My nieces and nephews don't want anything but the chicken nuggets pizza and p&j but when I'm watching em they either eat what I fix or they don't eat at all. They sit at the table till they either eat or parents pick em up. I e had em try lots of different stuff and like some but every trip it's a fight with em when it's time to eat

Dark Cloud, JR in KY and barney like this.
  12. Picky eaters weren’t welcomed at our table growing up lol. You eat what was put on the table or went without.

13. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    They were no picky eaters in my family, we always ate what Mom fixed to eat and was glad to eat it!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Wasnt allowed to be picky when i was young. Eat what was fixed. I can never remember being asked what i wanted to eat for any meal. What we had, mom fixed and that was that.

15. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    A friend at work once told me his young daughter had been at summer camp one year and when he picked her up she wanted him to take her straight to McDonald's to get some real food, she was starving! Lol

bondhu, drakeshooter and barney like this.