barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I bought 2 of the fattiest Woohoo chuck roasts I could find at Kroger over the weekend along with a package of top sirloin that was on sale.
    [​IMG]
    I cut the chuck and sirloin into strips and ground it once using a 3/4" grinding plate. Then the resulting meat nuggets were mixed and reground through a 3/16" grinding plate.
    [​IMG]
    Two 1/2 pound burgers were gingerly patted out from the mountain of ground meat, and conservatively seasoned with flake salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then they were placed in a hot skillet to sear unabated for about 5 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    Once a nice caramelization was observed around the edges, they were carefully flipped, and allowed to continue cooking unmolested.
    [​IMG]
    After a few more minutes the droplets of juices forming on top of the burgers turned a pinkish color and started to glisten. I then added a slice of medium cheddar first, then a slice of Havarti on top of the cheddar.
    [​IMG]
    Once the cheese's started to droop, the burgers were placed on a buttered and toasted brioche bun, then dressed with crispy bacon, onion, pickles, lettuce, mater, mayo and mustard. They were served with a side of twice fried Kennebec fries and a Pepsi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nock, Luther's Feist, bondhu and 8 others like this.
  2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Now that is a burger! Looks great! Have you tried muenster cheese for burgers? A hunting buddy turned me onto it several years ago and now one of my favorites.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    drakeshooter and barney like this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!
    I love Muenster on burgers or in a grilled cheese!

drakeshooter and Ataulbe1 like this.
  4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Great lookin meal

barney likes this.
  5. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What's a meat nugget

barney likes this.
  6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Barney thats a killer plate right there....i am asking for a friend : what is the red item in the blue and white bowl in upper right of the picture? Sorta looks like a candied apple my friend says....

barney likes this.
  7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I tell you what.
    Put that in front of Me and it would look like a damAlligator took a bite out of it.

8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    That very well may be the prettiest damn burger ive ever seen.
    Im eatin some burger patties right now at work. But they arent to that standard.
    They are out of a grain fed steer, and they are good.
    But im eatin em out of a ziploc bag that got heated up in the microwave.

Dark Cloud, bondhu and barney like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!
    Those are some of the Pony Express paste maters we canned last summer. The variety has flesh that is dense enough that they will stay just firm enough after canning that using them for a burger topping is possible. A bit messy, but possible and delicious!

Dark Cloud and Bee like this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The first grind of chilled meat that came out of the grinder using a 3/4 inch grinding plate.

11. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    That's for sure s good looking burger. Haven't had a beef burger in I don't know how long. We been eating deer burgers for a long time

barney likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Sirloin was .99 lb so the meal was awfully cheap, and really country this afternoon. Sirloin chop, macaroni and maters, mustard greens, cornbread and cooked turnips. All washed down with ice cold skim milk.

[​IMG]

bondhu, Nock, HCDH66 and 9 others like this.
  13. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    my my

barney likes this.
  14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Real country & real yummy!!!!! ***SIGH*** My better half will NOT eat maters & mac... Breaks my heart!!!!

barney likes this.
  15. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Good lookin meal. Love mac n maters. Greens also. Dont care for cooked turnips, but could eat a bushel raw.

drakeshooter, Ataulbe1 and barney like this.