barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I believe I'd have asked did they have more in the back. That is by far my favorite seafood. I like em anyway I can eat em. Paid $25 for a plate the other day and was dissapointed I only got 6 fried oysters, but they were still delicious. Hit up a Shoney's every chance I get on Friday after 4pm, they put fried oysters on the buffet.

barney likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    They stock oysters through the holidays. The small standard grade oysters at Thanksgiving I guess intended for dressing and casseroles. Then closer to Christmas, they have pints of the big nice select grade oysters. I bought pints of selects last year for 99¢!

Luther's Feist and Lady Hunter like this.
  3. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Went to food city today and checked on the oysters there. They only wanted $52 a quart

barney likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That's insane!

drakeshooter and Luther's Feist like this.
  5. Canned sardines and field peas for lunch. Cheap.

[​IMG]

bondhu, barney and HCDH66 like this.
  6. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    What are fieldpeas?
    Don't know about this one, thank goodness you used a bunch of pepper on it....
    My Cat would eat it.

Bee and barney like this.
  7. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I know what field peas are but I'm not sure my cat would even eat that

barney likes this.
  8. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I've seen some meals but I gotta say I don't think I've ever seen anything that sounds or looks that nasty. Sorry but I guess that's why they say to each their own

barney likes this.
  9. Probably the single best source of edible animal based protein and Omega-3s on the planet. Tastes like mackerel but with low to no mercury levels. Definitely to each their own.

bondhu and barney like this.
  10. They’re similar to blackeyed and purple hulls. Just another cowpea variety. I think crowders are a field pea.

barney likes this.
  11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    The last five years my grandfather was living he studied nutrition like an obsession. He would tell us kids we needed to eat sardines and avocados and we would live forever.

Still to this day, anytime I feel like I might be getting sick I go straight to the grocery store and buy avocados and sardines to eat.

A little off subject but several years ago I had some psoriasis like skin issue popping up on my neck the size of golf balls. I’m not really to type to run to the doctor but I ate an avocado every day for two weeks straight and it disappeared. Could be a fluke but I gave it the credit

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Carl, bondhu, barney and 1 other person like this.
  12. They take a little getting used to because they’re very oily and rich. Now that I’m used to eating them a lot I have started craving them at times.

bondhu, barney and beauhunter41031 like this.
  13. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

I go with the mustard. When I was younger and forced to eat them I could never get over the skin and bones but was immediately reminded that that’s where the good stuff was and these days I gobble them up hole and love it

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  14. I’m not gonna lie either, at a buck or two a can they taste even better lol. I’m a cheap date.

barney likes this.
  15. Winchester94

Winchester94 Spike

Mar 21, 2016
    The ones in Louisiana hot sauce are good.

drakeshooter and barney like this.