Barnes or Hornady sst

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by kyoutdoorsman, Oct 18, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Mz or tmz or hornady sst what do you shoot. Any good reviews. , Will be sighting in the loader another time.

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    250 grain TC Shockwave, which is the Hornady SST. Powered by 150 grain of Pyrodex pellets. Works for me with no complaints.

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Whichever shoots best in your gun with your powder load.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Been shooting the 200 gr shockwave's for yrs, this yr I'm changing I bought some sst and Barnes tmz, the sst are alittle softer jacketed than the shockwave.
    I never lost a deer with the shockwave but blood trails we'rent very good, I think they never expanded and just shot threw the deer, I never retrieved a bullet.
    I like the Barnes it really seems to open up and should create a good size exit hole.

HCDH66 likes this.
  5. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    I wish I knew how to post pictures on here. I would show you holes in deer I can put 3 fingers in up to the 2nd knuckle. I have experienced what you are talking about with Shockwaves not opening at all. I reload for my 30-06 and I only shoot SST bullets in it too. SST's have close to ballistic tip bullet expansion but doesn't fragment on bones like ballistic tips.

6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    ^^^This. Best for my setup has been 250 gr Barnes spit-fire t-ez

7. I shoot hornady xtp,I think that's right.It works for me.Im sure there are good ones out there.Alot to choose from

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  8. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt Spike

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Been shooting Hornady SSTs in one of my MLs for years. Groups great at 150 and if I hit the deer, it goes down. Only one time I didn't get an exit wound. Ballistically speaking, that's great as all of the energy is expelled into the animal.

New rifle didn't like the SST at all. After trying other bullets and weights, it loves Federal BOR Lock MZ! I get ~2" groups at 200yards on a cold bore. Hoping to try it out on a deer in a couple of weeks.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.