Barndo projects

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Gforcetrivers, Jun 9, 2021 at 6:14 PM.

1. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I should have done this to begin with and just had one thread for the whole project.
    This is an access door for a crawl space area that runs the length of the house and has the tankless water heater, plumbing and electric. The cats also love hanging out back there hence the little door at the bottom. The wood was done using the Shou Sugi Ban method of charring the wood black then brushing the char off leaving the rings dark and the pithy white gets removed. I used a mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil, Turpentine and Spar for the finish. All the trim is done the same way.

Attached Files:

muddhunter, bondhu, barney and 2 others like this.
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Pine? Looks really nice.

Gforcetrivers likes this.
  3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Yes pine works best for this technique. Also helps to select boards from the outside of the log. NOT quarter sawn or from the center of the log. The grain is to tight to make for an interesting look.

4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    That’s a cool look. Did you put it all together then blacken it or blacken before assembly?

5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I used boards I had laying around that were blackened already. But I am planning on building mudroom lockers and considering putting them together and then burning them.

muddhunter likes this.