Barn opinions…..

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I’m going to go around my barn and cut about 12-16 inches of rotted wood off all around it. Question is, other than blocking it from ground up to cut what are some other options? I could screw metal to it but I’d have to have something on the bottom to screw the bottom down, I’d think. I know there’s some smart fellers here so I was hoping for a plan. Thanks

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
I’m going to go around my barn and cut about 12-16 inches of rotted wood off all around it. Question is, other than blocking it from ground up to cut what are some other options? I could screw metal to it but I’d have to have something on the bottom to screw the bottom down, I’d think. I know there’s some smart fellers here so I was hoping for a plan. Thanks
There's no wrong way to fix a barn. Do whatever works and is safe. I'd replace it with metal. just support it with treated boards across the span. Lumber is really high right now, so metal would be cheaper.

Last edited:

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Fastening the metal on the bottom at each post would be sufficient if you ran it horizontal. If you install the metal vertical you would need to add a pressure treated girt along the bottom to fasten to.

Latest posts