ballard

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Saturday when it was 70 degrees and the wind was blowing about 70 mph we killed 8. Sunday when it was cool and clear with a nice wind we killed 1. The weather the past week has been real similar to how it was sunday. Plus they lost all kinds of birds Saturday during the day. Hopefully the rain inthe forecast will keep them stirred up. Birds were call and decoy shy, good luck.

hiddentimber08

6 pointer
Sep 11, 2008
BALLARD
I wouldn't waste my time coming all the duck are around wickliffe in the backwater, not many duck on the north end of the county, we had been killing 15-30/day until tuesday last 3 day we have killed 11, total, it sucks right now.:mad: Give it 5 or 6 more days and the hunting will be better when this water is gone, those ducks around wickliffe will follow that water as it is falling to carlise and hickman and then will come back to ballard, they always do. Talked to a buddy of mine that hunted in Hickman today on a private farm in the backwater and killed 35, between 7 of them 28 greenheads 2 redheads and 5 gadwalls. Guess you know where i'll be tomorrow:)

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
16 ducks yesterday (Ballard Co but not on the refuge), 2 geese and a duck today.

The refuge has lost almost 100k ducks in the last week.

ril7572

Cyber-Hunter
Jul 9, 2003
Ky..
Today was slow on the refuge, we only killed 1, 3 yesterday. Several blinds never fired a shot, The refuge has lost alot of birds.

Last edited:

travis_duckhunter

10 pointer
Aug 16, 2007
Owensboro, KY
I wouldn't waste my time coming all the duck are around wickliffe in the backwater, not many duck on the north end of the county, we had been killing 15-30/day until tuesday last 3 day we have killed 11, total, it sucks right now.:mad: Give it 5 or 6 more days and the hunting will be better when this water is gone, those ducks around wickliffe will follow that water as it is falling to carlise and hickman and then will come back to ballard, they always do. Talked to a buddy of mine that hunted in Hickman today on a private farm in the backwater and killed 35, between 7 of them 28 greenheads 2 redheads and 5 gadwalls. Guess you know where i'll be tomorrow:)

I dont know where in wickliffe, definitely not in our spot. Got the water we've been waiting for all season and no one has killed or even seen much all week! Maybe they will move in after the backwater goes down, I sure hope so. Glad someone is killing them down there!

massive horns

BBBC Members
Oct 21, 2002
Kentucky
Update... Should of listened to you guys on here.

Ballard has very few birds right now and combined with the 60 degree temps, it was one of the least productive weekends we have ever had down at Ballard since we started hunting down there over the last 8 years this past weekend as far as seeing birds and not even coming close to firing a shot at one while in the blind or pit assigned.

It's always fun to get out and hunt with friends harvest or no harvest, however, if temps don't change and bird numbers don't increase, we will not return for all of our other dates chosen.

ril7572

Cyber-Hunter
Jul 9, 2003
Ky..
Glad you had some luck. We did alot of work brushing it good for you:) It was bare when we got there. We drew it 2 days in a row:eek: They let us redraw so we could see some different country. We hunted the blind right behind the first. It looked great, but we only killed one.

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
That blind scratched out a few high birds today. There was a lot more shooting around.

Whoever hunted the pit must not have cared for your camo job. There were holes the size of Volkswagens that had to be recovered and the stalks that you guys pulled up were scattered all the way to the water. Somebody also helped themselves to baiting the heck out of it. There were shucked ears of corn laying everywhere and some of it had even been shelled and scattered. :rolleyes:

The pintails eat the slough behind that pit up. There were some trophies hauled home today.

Last edited:

ril7572

Cyber-Hunter
Jul 9, 2003
Ky..
I love greenheads, but there is something about a bull sprig. they are a beautiful duck.

That slough was frozen when we hunted.

artcarney_agr

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
Hunted Sat. in Blind 5 - had three woodies buzz us, that was all that we had to shoot at. Didn't see very many ducks that day, and it was ridiculously warm.

Hunted Sun. in Blind 80 - cool looking spot, thought we were going to do well, but that wasn't the case. Saw lots and lots and lots of ducks all day long. All were call shy, decoy shy, and everything shy. Tried lots of calling, soft calling, and no calling. Even tried goose calling at ducks, to which they did respond a little, but not enough to want to play with us. Saw quite a few geese too, but none that would get low enough for us. Saw lots and lots of skybusting, as it got to be about 11 or so, we decided to join in and managed to scratch out a greenhead that was probably between 60 and 80 yards out! :eek: Gotta love that Kicks High Flyer choke! The reports I got were that the majority of the blinds were killing anywhere from 1 to 5 ducks. Supposedly, blind 55 had three guys that hunted and killed 5 ducks and 6 geese...can't confirm that, but that's what I heard.

Ballard had a duck count posted in their office from Dec. 27th showing 40,000 birds, but I would be surprised if it was even half that, because the refuge looked pretty bare, with the exception of the sloughs by highway 473 and the main gate.

Temps are supposed to get back to normal this week (30s and 40s) and some freezing temps at night (20s). The jet stream may dip a little south on Wednesday, possibly bringing in some colder air, but it's too soon to tell.

ril7572

Cyber-Hunter
Jul 9, 2003
Ky..
Saw lots and lots of skybusting, as it got to be about 11 or so, we decided to join in and managed to scratch out a greenhead that was probably between 60 and 80 yards out! :eek: Gotta love that Kicks High Flyer choke!

And we wonder why ducks call shy, blind shy, everything shy:eek:

Latest posts