Ballard

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by duckheadforge, Dec 10, 2019.

1. KYBluegill

KYBluegill 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky

I suppose we know your WMA now

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    One or more can always suppose a thing, but such does not make it fact. Besides, even if that were my WMA, it is not exactly small.

3. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    bowfinger im just telling what i know from a group of fellows that been there since Sat.its a private hunt club that i use to belong to and its not uncommon for them to kill 700 to 1000 birds a season in previous yrs but it is very very slow right now for them , glad some are around down there maybe the bottoms are where theyre at but theyre not where my friends are and i have no reason to pull anyones leg

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    If I was the OP, I would go.

Bowfinger and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  5. KYBluegill

KYBluegill 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
    Is there any chance at getting a spot going and getting on the standby list?

6. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Only if the OP doesn’t go. You should discourage him.

Bowfinger likes this.
  7. KYBluegill

KYBluegill 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
  8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I would go. Probably more Ducks than around here.

9. Mossy Oak Boykins

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    wish someone would post some actual reports instead of hear say sure there are some ducks there and especially in the bottoms

10. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    That would be the biggest lie!

11. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006

Its slow because they're all at Ballard & Boat!

12. Mossy Oak Boykins

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    im sure its like fishing you may not be catching but someone else is glad to here some are having success and to say there is a lot of competition along that stretch is a under statement

13. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Standby is a gamble. You can look at prior year’s hunt activity and see how many parties were turned away.

I got in on standby once many years ago. This was the tail end of the goose glory days before they managed for ducks. I had been in MS duck hunting and swung through Ballard on my way home. They asked me if I could call geese. They put me in with 3 old guys that couldn’t call. Or shoot or sit still for that matter. We had ducks all over us at legal light and these guys still had flashlights on trying to light a heater. Flared every bird. Geese started flying and we shot a few. A bit later a single goose came in real low on the other end of the blind. The three old dudes all missed him. I hit the come back call and he came back around on my side. That bird was banded. I picked it and one other goose up, wished the old dudes luck, and walked out. Refuge employee drove out and picked me up.

I’m drawn for the upcoming weekend. We’re going regardless of reports. The last 2 surveys weren’t very impressive, about 18k. But that can change overnight. I’ll post a report next week.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. adamky

adamky 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2008
    Daviess County
    I hunted in the mayfield creek bottoms and killed some Monday and Tuesday. Guys I was hunting with were getting reports of ducks in the backwater around grassy. It’s falling fast and those ducks will head back to the refuge as soon as it’s gone. I would think it would be good around the refuge with the little bit of weather coming end of the weekend. I’d go.

Mossy Oak Boykins likes this.
  15. duckheadforge

duckheadforge Fawn

Dec 2, 2013
    I appreciate all of the replies. 2 others in my group have succumbed to the pressures of Christmas/significant others. So the question of it being worth the trip did cross my mind.