Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Uhh......my point (and obvious as it is) would be that August being hotter than June/July, this whole thing makes 0 sense .........IF "mold" and hot weather have any bearing on the health of the turkey flocks, you'd think that would matter (regardless of who did or didn't ask for it to be changed)

WHY not just have asked that the Reg ONLY be during Turkey season??? THEN it would in fact be a "baiting ban", as it is now it affects FEEDING of all wildlife during the season when it's needed for the young "critters" and their mothers milk production......no matter how good the intentions may have been, I don't see this as any positive...........when the fact of the matter is, had this been for during the open turkey season, I seriously doubt anyone would really oppose this.........as it is, many do (yes including myself)......

I honestly can't see any reason to extend the ban one single day beyond Turkey season, especially when no big game season is open during most of the time of this ban.......when it's changed to reflect the above mentioned concerns (CO safety and hunting turkey over bait) AND doesn't go beyond that, and affect too many other critters, then I'd be all for it , as it is, I can't see any good reason for the June/July period being banned.....the reasons given don't change that one iota either imho

Keep in mind, that all of us don't live in the ag belt of Ky and the deer and other wildlife benefit from supplemental feedings, (and the farmers do as well as this keeps their gardens safer e.g. less crop damage done)......for those who have plenty of crops and acorns every year I guess YOUR deer don't need it, others though may very well benefit greatly from feeding.....(NOT baiting again)

Clear that up for ya?? :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    Very well put ACE, CSS has hunted in my area a lot and knows that farm land is limited. Timbering and mining operations has reduced our mast to limited conditions. I have fed for many years and seen the improvement in fawn births, overall health of the deer. I seldom see turkey on my place since a certain poacher bought adjounring property, KDFWLR employees warned me about this guy. I've since reduced my feeding to extreme weather times of the year and I don't hunt over the feeder locations, in fact they can be seen easily from my patio, my wife enjoys seeing the deer, squirrel and birds.
    I just can't understand how KDFWLR thinks they should be able to control property that I bought , pay tax on and work to have for enjoyment. I have been buying a sportsmen license till this season but I made decisions not too due to the concerns for the commission decisions in the last year.
    TOO MUCH IS < TOO MUCH.

3. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    WELL SAID ACEOKY,
    I dont have a problem with the ban on baiting March thru May 7 after that, is what concerns me. The comissioners and COs need to change this. I also read up on alphatoxins fungus in corn,I can see their thinking on this,but this has been going on since 1960s, why do it now. If there is a danger to turkeys, lets come up with a alternate feed during reg turkey season,maybe some feed maker could come up with it. What I have read on this fungus, is it effects alot of animals including humans ,however steps are took to minimize this and a scale has been set to regulate the level of fungus in food and feed products.............

4. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Ace you need to direct that question to the wildlife director.....I am only the bearer of bad news.....not the source of it! We argued against anything after turkey season but Doc Angel spoke to the dangers expressed by the wildlife director over black head and then the deal was made.......I know August is one of the hotest months of the year.....I also know that alpha toxins can exist on ears of corn standing in a corn field....You can speculate from that what my thoughts are as to where this is going to eventually go I hope!

5. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Thanks!

I would request that everyone who sees this as a "bad idea" for the dates set, to make certain the KDFWR and their commision members are made very aware of that fact......again, had it been during the turkey season, most (if not all) wouldn't have any problems at all, some may still not, that's fine for them as well, those in several parts of Ky know that supplemental feeding helps the population (and not only the Deer, which is the intended animals to feed, many other animals benefit from the feed anyway).....

IF a person has plenty of turkey AND feels feeding may cause them harm, I'd suspect most of them wouldn't feed anyway (especially in hot weather) due to concerns about mold, even during August, the hottest month of which this change would allow (again makes 0 sense as a whole IMHO)

I have to beleive there is a better way of keeping the CO's safe and citing those hunting turkey over bait than to make it illegal for others to feed the deer and other wildlife AFTER the season is over.......During the season, does make sense imho afterward only causes harm as I can see things at this point..

Again, I've fed for years, usually year 'round, and like Highbow have seen what a difference it makes especially in our "neck of the woods" where there are not many larger farms to aid them, it works, hurts no one that I'm aware of, helps out too many wildlife species for me to , at least at this time based on what has been told, to support this "overkill" idea......and again we do not hunt over feeders, they're out there to help them , not make them easier to harvest/kill.......though I have no problem when someone does hunt over feeders, we don'tl, that's all....

6. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    There are already seeds availible that are suitable and certified for human consumption......

Li

7. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Oh never fear Doug, I plan to to much more than that! :)

First you say YOU guys (third federation) got August removed, now you're saying "fought against anything after Turkey season"???????? :rolleyes:

I'll say it again, in NO way does this keep the CO's safer AFTER season is over, thus the Number 1 reason for it makes no sense.......MOST (if not all ) of us, would agree to this during the season, after it's over is another matter .......

So I guess you'll be among those of us asking this to be changed for the Spring Turkey season ONLY???

8. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    I was refering to this post you made.....

The discussion I was having with Kalen was with respect to the turkey being poached and what constitutes a baited site if I remember correctly..

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Wow! If you say so.......it's not hard to read and see what was being said (and not said btw):rolleyes:

So are you going to fight for turkey season only or ......

10. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Ace if you dont believe me then I suggest you listen to the tapes.....There was one individual that spoke against this from the 5th and oh yeah I almost forgot....Your LKS president voiced oppostion for various reasons and asked that it be tabled for those very reasons....

All I am saying is that there were 4 individuals that asked that consideration be given to move it back to the end of turkey season and that was quickly nipped in the bud over the alpha toxin debate......I believe that everyone at the meeting would have been tickled to death to ban any baiting whatsoever during march 1 thru may 15........It didnt have a prayer......So a July 31 date was asked for and as an alternative aug 15th so that corn could be put out during squirrel weekend in some time for early bow season.......Fortunately we got July 31 and not August 31....I dont like it for the same reasons you do but you are getting pissie because we didnt succeed.....At least we were there to try!

11. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Why do you think I posted the darn thing Ace.....I have fought for turkey season only at the meeting along with the core group of folks you love to hate.......Thats right! All those bad guys like Mike Whelan,Ronnie Wells,Jim Strader and myself were fighting for your interests.....

So I guess the question now is......Are you going to join us?

12. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    IF at first you don't succeed , try, try again (and again if need be) I'm also aware that you know this, as I recall that was how other issues were handled in the recent past ......:D

LMAO, fighting for your OWN interests (which may or may not at times be mine or the majority's for that matter).... I have enough records on what those you've mentioned (to name only a few) have said as a matter of public record.......but hey that's the past, and "over" with, this is now , though bringing that up can't possibly help anything now can it????

BTW I don't "hate" them or "love to hate them", I didnt' and don't agree with how things were done, on many levels, not likely that will ever change either fwiw..

Simple really IF enough of us let them know why we're opposed it will change, IF we don't it won't.......so question is, how many are going to gripe about it and do no more and how many will make certain they are aware???? :)

13. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    OH and BTW you don't HAVE to "be there" to be involved OR to make a differenece...........MOST of us know this, IF you did, there would be very little reason for having the NINE commisioners.who represent us ALL on matters......In fact many think those who "are there" so much/often harm the intended process........fwiw:mad:

14. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

Hard to even guess about, you never said, whether you supported it(but posted the information only), or any of the "other stuff" now did you?

You posted the change with an "!" which could cause people to "assume" that you thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread......

If you guys fought for this to only be for Turkey season , then thank you all.....I appreciate the efforts made.

And I can assure you that you won't be "alone" in that endeavor.....this needs to change, and I think that it will!

15. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    There weren't 9 commissioners there to represent ALL of us at that commission meeting. There were only 6, and the other 3 spots were vacant.
    These 3 vacant districts were not represented by anyone at that meeting.

I'd speculate that there's going to be some problems with every decision that was made yesterday.