Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    So if someone sneaks on your land and shoots a deer with a spotlight then they shouldn't be in any trouble. I mean really isn't it much easier and more ethical(with a quick/clean kill) to shoot them in the head with a 22 like a cow standing in a field. I really don't understand where your going with this. Force certain beliefs on others when no real harm or thread is being presented to society. Obviously they have their reasons for making this new law. And personally I think the KDFW has done an outstanding job on making Kentucky and awsome place to hunt. I think we need to give them the benifit of the doubt on this one. The only question I have with this is we feed livestock corn year round. Well if the cows don't eat it and the corn is left in the field then a turkey comes buy and eats how is that going to work??

2. kevhunter

kevhunter Banned

Sep 16, 2004
    You mean you guys put out corn for deer and then shoot them over it,sounds like something Jimmy Houston would do.Im just kidding,Ive shot a few back when I was younger over corn.It just doesnt appeal too me anymore and wouldnt bother me in the least if they done away with it all together.Too be honest of all of the deer that I have taken over the past years only one was a decent buck over corn.Most of the best bucks were on trails or scrape lines.People just want too pour out that golden grain and hope for a big one and thats fine if you want too hunt that way,just not for me.

3. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Yes and no. We both know that some would kill a crap load of turkeys anyways. The corn isn't the problem. It's the poacher. Honest hunters wouldn't kill more than their limit whether it was over bait or not. Turkey baiting isn't allowed because they say it isn't sportsmanlike. Just as electronic calls aren't allowed because they're not sportsmanlike. This is law enforcement forceing us to accept they're belief in what is sportsmanlike and what isn't. Now does anyone think electronic calls threatens hunting? Well if you don't then the dep. has said screw your beliefs, you can't use them. Thats my angle on the law enforcement. Laws should be used for physical violations, not ideas.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  4. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    Yes, first they don't have permission. Second, hunting at night imposes a threat to society.

Is it more ethical to kill a deer by spotlight? Wouldn't know, I've never done it so I couldn't tell you. But you're missing the point and I think you're reaching.

Yes the dep. has done exceptional work. I'll bet this proposal dies though. And I wish they would either legalize all baiting or ban it all. Too many rules on one subject is confusing.

5. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Why is it not sportsmanlike? Because it's so much easier!!!!

6. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    I wasn't trying to reach for anything I am too short for that anyway:) . I just didn't know where you were going with the "Force Certain Beliefs" comment. I still don't so I guess I am missing your point. You know 10 years from now I might look back and say man I was wrong about this but right now I don't think I am. Only time will tell. I could ask my wife she always knows when I am wrong:D

7. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    Well when someone else defines a moral belief for you, then demands you adhere to it.

Law enforcement should be for physical violations, not ideas. Again, the corn pile doesn't break the law, its the violater.

I just don't think baiting turkeys is a big deal. I don't want to bait them, but someone might. Just as with the electronic call. I don't use them, but someone may want to.

Fall turkey season hasn't even been mentioned, which one would think is when the biggest contraversies over cornpiles would arise. HMMMMM.....

Don't worry if you don't understand what I'm trying to say......I seem to be the only one who does understand myself.

8. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

But some don't want it to be difficult. Ex. the elderly. The overwieght. the disabled. etc. etc.

9. lab

lab I'm not a people person.

Nothing is easy. If you can'y abide by the game laws set forth to legally take game, then find another hobby. For the life of me, I can't figure out why some people argue rules such as this one. If you are putting out corn for the purpose of killing a turkey, then you deserve to be caught and a ticket presented to you. Why? Because it is against the law.

If you are so lazy that you have to put out corn to harvest a turkey, maybe you should quit hunting. Anyone who has ever hunted these birds knows that walking several miles in a days time is part of it. The thrill of getting in close to a gobbling bird, setting up, calling him in gobbling every other breath, and making the shot is what the hunt is all about.

As for putting out corn for deer, I am as guilty as anyone else. I have a spot right now that is getting hammered because I have started putting out corn. It's main purpose is to see what will step in front of the camera and have its picture made. This allows me to see what deer is frequenting the area and what time it is there.

Will I hunt over that corn pile? Not directly.
    Close proximity? Yes.
    Why? Because it is not illegal to do so.
    Would I shoot a turkey if it came to that pile? No.
    Why? Because it is against the law.

10. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    That's make sense to me. What doesn't is how some people think because hunting deer over corn is OK, then turkeys should be OK too. You can't compare the two, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  11. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Uhhhh Ace....Im not sure what point you were trying to make, and I dont really give a rats.....The original proposal from the wildlife director was until August 31st, fortunately strong arguments were made by several members of the 3rd district to move the dates back to July 31st. Oh yeah Your welcome!

12. TROPHYTAKER308

TROPHYTAKER308 Banned

Oct 23, 2005
    frankfort,ky
    this is just my 2 cents worth ,but i could care less and dont think it would have a inpact if any at all on deer......just my honest opinion.:)

13. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

You're entitled to that opinion, but everyone doesn't feel that way. Should everyone abide by your opinion? My question is why is it against the law?
    Because you think its lazy!!!!! Good grief Charlie Brown.

Waste of time and money. Officers could be doing something better IN MY OPINION.

And why doesn't anyone have an opinion as to why it wouldn't be in effect for the fall turkey season, when more people hunt over these corn piles? If its all about shooting turkeys over bait, then why not the fall also?????

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  14. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    OK, here is another angle on this. Law enforcement may document hundreds or thousands of bait sites across KY prior to spring turkey season, they have to decide on which ones to sit on to catch illegal turkey hunters. This reg might help them to catch the turkey violators without wasting time on deer feeders.

I agree with whomever posted "ought to be the same for deer as turkey, all or nothing", just to keep things simple.

Why is it any more ethical to shoot one over bait and not the other? Why is it only ethical to shoot ducks or quail flying, and turkeys and deer standing still?

In my opinion it should not be legal for anyone to put out bait and make it illegal for someone else to hunt. An example of that is; let's say you and I are hunting the same farm, I'm not seeing much so I put out a cornpile, now it's illegal for you to shoot a turkey on this same farm, even without you knowing I put out the corn. Of course this reg does nothing to help this, but it is a step in that direction.

15. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY

That may well be true for turkey season but makes no sense beyond that season imho.....

Yet again, that's "fine" as far as Turkey season goes, I have no problem with that part, it's the after the season FEEDING (not baiting) that I don't agree with, and nothing about the CO's being in any danger would change there, IF season is out (and there is no open big game season) why would there be any need in regulating feeders (of any type?? Pipe feeders, gravity feeders, any feeders???) I just can't see any reason for this going beyond Turkey season....and those "reasons" don't change that for me, I intend to make my wishes and feelings known fwiw.