Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Are turkeys on the endangered species list ????????

2. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.

Like Max.....I was at the meeting. These are the reasons given then and there.

CO's association voted UNANAMOUSLY on this one and asked the Commission to back their decision. This is a safety concern that will elleviate the need for CO's to stake out bait for the 82 citations they wrote last season for hunting over bait. They have a concern that this is THE most dangerous thing they do during their job and it is becoming a national concern w/ the CO's Association after multiple shootings of members.

Not sure I like it, but I don't believe the sky is falling by it's passing.
    I'm not sure if this will in the future pour over into deer hunting over bait, but it's hard to say that piles of corn poured is any diff. than harvested corn laying in the field that molds and can spread the same naturally. All I can say is for those concerned....
    Go to your LKS federation meeting and make sure that you put a vote on the floor to protect baiting and supplemental feeding during hunting season. Why wait till it's a crisis before finding out how your peers feel. This will help your director speak on your behalf at anytime in the furture.
    Mike

3. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    When you really look at it all comes down to MONEY!! The government has been inching there way into your freedoms for years, and mark my word just like some on here say just wait ten years and compare the prices and the amount of hunters and how the laws have changed, compare things to the last ten years, if a man wants to feed wildlife that his father and grandfather paid for out of hunting taxes on the farm that his father and grandfather paid for, let them. What if you want to feed the crows or squirrels or song birds is it your fault that some turkeys came and picked in it . I have a garden that I can't keep the turkeys out of, am I baiting? It is starting to get rediculous (spelling?)Everything is going up and some people are not going to be able to hunt legally anymore.

4. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    I used to put out 80 bushels of apples every year as bait until Vermont outlawed intentional feeding of wild game about three years back. It really had no impact on me except to save me the money on the apples. I had to work harder to locate wild food sources, but other than that nothing changed in my hunting behavior. Since then I have not used bait. I think we should let the professionals manage and regulate our wildlife. That is what they are educated in and we pay them for.

5. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    YOU mean to tell me a CO is going to walk up on some farmers porch and write him a ticket ,for a corn pile, laying on the ground, on his back forty, during turkey season. Boy those COs have a really dangerous job on their hands now. Dam if I WOULD WALK UP THERE,THAT OLD FARMER MIGHT NOT EVEN HUNT TURKEY......................AND HE SURE AS HELL ,WONT LIKE THAT TICKET..............

6. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    baiting

I agree 100% with that, and I do not want to put any CO's in danger either. I just can't see how this new law will change any thing other than to keep a lawabiding citizen from placing corn in front of his trailcam. They will not be able to convict a landowner of placing bait on his property without catching him in the act, any more than they can convict him of cultivating marijuana on his property (without catching him in the act). They gave up trying to catch the pot growers years ago. They just cut it and burn it. 99% of the time they don't even know who's property it's on. Will we have the National Gaurd Choppers flying around cleaning up corn piles? The CO's are still going to have to prove it was the person they gave the ticket to who put the bait there. After a couple times looking like an idiot in court they will just stop writing tickets.

7. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    You're not serious are you?

8. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Do you realize the amont of corn put out in the woods of ky by the people in the state of ky in a 5 month period? DEER AND TURKEY and all other forms of wildlife have depended on this for years and years. IF you remove this source of food ,they will have to look elsewhere to make this up.We have a surgeing population of deer in ky and hunters now are having a hard time now holding this herd in check.You will see more wildlife move into suburbs for food and the farmers will take a beating on their crops.Farmers and landowners already have to get permits to kill off deer to stop crop damage.I dont want anyone to get shot ,but this is about the way things get done.I think they should have looked at the big picture a little harder on this .............

9. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    The amount of food piled on the ground for wildlife is a minuscule fraction of what they need to eat. It does nothing to maintain the herd. A whitetail needs 2-4% of their live weight in food every day. More for young deer, less for older. That's 4-8 lbs per day of food for every 200 lb buck out there. They don't eat only the corn either. They have to have other foods to mix in there.

10. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Allright ,there are about 250000 deer and turkey hunters in ky. Lets say on avg ,they each put out a 1000 lbs of corn a year,that adds up to about 125000 tons of food. You take that out of the woods , those animals are going to have to make that up somewhere.You talk about concentrating a million strong deerherd and turkeys into a dwinling area of habitat,you are putting these animals in grave danger of sickness ,this wont happen overnight ,but in a few years time.............................

11. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Do you really believe 250,000 people in KY each pour out 20 bags of corn a year for deer?

12. theshocker06

theshocker06 Banned

Mar 29, 2006
    Pike Co Ky
    It might be an issue, if the deer actually got all that corn, but with coons, possums, turkeys , squirells, chipmunks and birds, the deer most likely will only get 50% at best.This ban will not make the co's job any easier, it's gona make it much harder, and much more dangerous. From what I've read on this board, by the people "in the know" I feel deep down that certain Wildlife Biologists that participate on this board, are behind this , You know who you are. Here's a thought, why not make it illegal to pile up corn, like a hill. scattered corn is less likely to mold and they prefer to eat it that way anyhow.

13. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    Okay, I'm bored and nothing to do so I'll rant some more.

If staking a corn pile is as dangerous as it is said to be, why are we so adament about having our CO's do it?
    Ask yourself this, Why are they staking out corn piles? Is it to catch a hunter killing too many turkeys? Is it to catch a hunter shooting the wrong sex turkey? Is it to catch a hunter with no permits? NO. It's to catch a hunter killing a turkey in an unsportsmanlike manner. And that's my problem. Think of all the money & time spent to stop nothing other than a practice that has been deemed unsportsman and unethical. Why???

I have a problem with law enforcement being used to force certain beliefs on others when no real harm or threat is being presented to society. And yes ethics and sportsmanship is just that, beliefs. Beliefs that have no absolute definition. But by-joe I had better adhere to the powers that be code of sportsmanship or I'll be penalized.

Consider this, Isn't it the responsibility of a hunter to make a quick/clean kill of the game taken? Wouldn't baiting ensure a higher percentage of clean kills? So why waste money and endanger our CO's for something thats just not that threatening to hunting? In contrast, read the post about killing hogs with a knife. How blame ethical and sportsmanlike is that? Yet you don't hear any flack about that. If you want to stake out a corn pile, do it to catch the guys shooting too many turkeys. Not to make us conform to some mold of what others think we should be.

I have never baited turkeys nor hunted over bait for them. I also don't see the big deal about it either.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  14. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I'm not a turkey hunter but from what I understand, it's easier to shoot turkeys over bait than it is deer. (debatable?) I also understand that the deer population is much more stable from year to year. The turkey hatch relies heavily on the weather for it to be successful. So that being said, it makes sense that killing the crap load out of turkeys over bait coupled with a wet and cold spring would seriously harm the flock. Am I off base on this?

15. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

Much sense in what you have said. Excellent comparison. About all the co's can do under this new proposal is A) Stake it out and catch the hunter actually hunting over it. B) Shovel up the corn and burn it.

Which leads me to suspect another motive. [​IMG]