Baiting Illegal!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by maxcam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Al

Al 12 pointer

Jan 14, 2004
    Incognito, ky, USA.
    I agree with Wildcat this is just a start. Once they start taking away rights they wont quit and theyll never give them back.
    The dept has just lost my support and cooperation. Ive always bought a license even though I am exempt since I am a resident farm owner and I hunt my own farm.
    But I have bought my last license!

2. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    Now that takes the cake, right you a fine for a grain pile on your property. I could go put the grain on my neighbors property and they get fined. Sure, that will hold up in court. It's high time the hunters and sportsmen let it be known who the DEPT works for. This may be the very reason to give up hunting all together, bunch of anti's working undercover is what it looks like.
    This is going to turn more people against hunting, building food plots or trying to improve hunting conditions.

3. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    As far as I am concerned,I have bought my last sportsmen lic. I NEVER USED HALF OF IT ANYWAY,JUST BOUGHT TO HELP OUT WILDLIFE...........:mad:

4. stikbowhuntr

stikbowhuntr 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2005
    home
    Amen brother,couldn't have said it better myself..........

5. LBL HUNTER

LBL HUNTER 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2004
    Marshall Co. Ky
    baiting

I have always been a law abiding sportsman that hates poachers, but I can assure you that if you scout my hunting property next July 1, if you look hard enough, you WILL find a corn pile and a trail camera less than 10 ft away!

6. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    NO sense, and not "done deal" imho

Food plots aren't affected, they're not grain piles, pellets etc. Still I don't agree with this, at all......

I don't expect this to "last" to become law "as is", NO reasons given so far would lead me to believe it's needed or even wanted by many........

Those who don't like this, just be certain to let your commission members know how you feel.......write the KDFWR as well, let them ALL know this won't "fly" and those who seriously don't intend to buy tags etc again , also let them know that, this is NOT a "done deal", just yet, plenty of time to have it changed or even removed, as we've seen in the past on other issues.......

NOW had it been for Turkey season ONLY, I'd have NO problem with it at all.......even ONE day after that season ends however I see no need in , and unless shown why I should support that I don't and will not do so.....fwiw
    I fully expect once they find out that most don't want this to be this way, it will change if not be removed entirely.....

IF YOU are opposed to this, make YOUR opinions known to the KDFWR and the sitting commisioners , however the time to act is NOW imho

7. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Due to the concern of disease transmission in turkey and at the request of the law enforcement officers the commission has ruled to outlaw baiting with feed,seed, and pelletized feed. The ban will go into effect next year from March 1st thru July 31st.

That's all "well and good for TURKEY SEASON" but NO good reason for it to extend ONE day past now for reason #2 is there??? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Contact info KDFWR

Contact Us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call 800-25-ALERT to Report a law violation

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
    #1 Sportsman's Lane
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    800-858-1549

Info center e-mail

info.center@ky.gov

From the KDFWR webiste:

We attempt to promptly respond to every email received. However, due to the volume of email received, some responses may take a week or more to research. You may find a quicker answer by searching our web site or calling our toll free Information Line at 1-800-858-1549.

:)

9. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
  10. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    It's far from a "done deal", we have plenty of time to change it IF we can work together (meaning all of us btw that don't agree with it "as is")

Also this is NOT "baiting" since a great part of it would be during a period where NO big game season is open, thus it's a "feeding" ban......AND at a time (again) when the doe benefit greatly from supplemental feedings.....

I think it should (and will) be amended to ONLY be in force during open Turkey season (which I would support no problem)

I'm all for making the CO's jobs easier and safer, I just don't see ANY reason for not allowing feeders/feeding during the time NO big game season is even open......THAT part makes 0 sense.:mad:

11. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I did find this post (from your thread you just posted ) very interesting , especailly considering who started this thread.....

#35 01-13-2006, 12:32 AM
    maxcam
    10 Pointer Join Date: Mar 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I dont because there is a law for baiting already on the books....If they cant enforce the one that already is in place how will this be any different?

12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Aceoky,
    I think that the current law states that they have to catch you hunting over the bait pile. They spend lots of time staking out these piles waiting for someone to come and hunt over them. This change makes it so that they can write a ticket if they find a bait pile on your land and you do not have to be hunting over it. Gives them more time to do other things.

With all of the people that say they are not going to buy license and the number who say that they are going to bait, I would think that the number of tickets written will of set the lose of license sales.

13. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    They wont have to much difficulty finding those illegal bait piles after a couple of years,because when you leave the city limits there will be a 5 foot browse line on all the wooded areas.........................

14. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.

I know I'm going to catch it over this but here goes. I don't give a rat's a$$ if some lazy hunter wants to kill a turkey over bait. I don't get this ethical argument either. If it's okay to shoot a deer/bear/hog/elk over bait, why not a turkey??? I'm sick of hearing how there's no sport in shooting a turkey eating out of a bait pile. Well okay, don't shoot one eating out of a bait pile. How much money is wasted trying to catch someone hunting over a pile of corn? Now theres a problem that if not stopped will bring about the downfall of civilization!!! GEEEZZZZ!!!

And BTW, I strongly believe that if the guru's thought for one mili-second that cornpiles, cowpiles, funnel cakes or bubble gum, were threatening to the elk, there would be no yellow circles, cows would have to use outhouses, festivals would sticky fingerless, and there be no bubble blowing contest ever again.

Now let me have it, sure won't be my first time.

15. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    baiting

I put out some corn year round to draw in deer for pictures. If it's in the best interest of wildlife to not do that I will stop. But as far as a CO coming up to a landowners door and saying "heres yer ticket, we found a few grains of corn on yer property". Come on now, get real. They will have to prove intent or they will get laughed out of the courtroom. There are lots of property owners that haven't even seen their property in years. The CO's will still have to stake out the bait piles and catch the perps to make it stick in court. The Turkey disease thing I can understand but this year there are more Turkeys than I have ever seen on the farms where I have corn out. The Turkeys visit the corn maybe 1 time a week where the deer come every day. JMHO